Know what to bring and what NOT to bring.

Check what's provided in your accommodation. If you're going to be living on campus see the list below, or ask your landlord if you're renting privately

All University kitchens contain:

  • fridges and freezers
  • ovens and hobs
  • sinks
  • kettles or water boilers
  • microwaves
  • toasters
  • tables and chairs
  • cupboards
  • waste and recycling bins
  • cleaning equipment, eg a mop and bucket and a vacuum cleaner

All University bedrooms contain:

  • a bed and mattress, with a mattress cover. Beds in Constantine College, Langwith College, Anne Lister College and David Kato College are 3/4 size, all other colleges have standard single beds.
  • desk and chair
  • desk lighting
  • wardrobe/storage
  • shelving
  • noticeboard
  • curtains or blinds
  • bin
  • a wash basin and mirror (unless you have an ensuite)

If you have an ensuite, you will also have:

  • a shower and/or bath
  • toilet
  • sink
  • a mirror
  • storage/hooks

Please note:

  • Communal bathrooms will include toilet paper, but if you have an en suite you'll need to bring your own.
  • If you bring an extension cord, remember to bring it to your college's Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) session at the start of the academic year.

What to bring in your hand luggage

You should bring all your supporting documents in your hand luggage or saved to your phone, tablet or laptop in case you are asked to produce them:

  • your passport, with visa vignette or other UK entry clearance
  • the letter that accompanied your visa 
    • if you're a EU/EEA/Swiss national you may not have a visa in your passport. In this case bring the entry clearance letter that you received by email
  • your University of York offer letter and/or UCAS confirmation slip
  • your University of York accommodation confirmation email
  • IELTS (or equivalent) certificates
  • originals (or certified true copies) of any degree certificates or technical qualifications
  • documentary evidence that you have enough money to pay your tuition fees and accommodate yourself while you’re in the UK (recent bank statements, proof of scholarship or official financial sponsor letter)
  • any relevant medical certificates showing recent vaccinations
  • chest X-ray report for TB screening (if you need to be screened - see UKVI information about tuberculosis tests for visa applicants)
  • medication for ongoing conditions (ensure you also bring a doctor’s letter as well as the medication’s original packaging)
  • your plane ticket (or ticket for your ferry or train)
  • translations of documents as needed.

Make sure you have the original documents kept safely. Do not put them in your suitcase - keep them with you in your hand luggage.

You will need to present the following at a port of entry:

  • your passport 
  • a national identity card (only if you already have pre-settled or settled status)

You may not be asked to present it, but it could be useful to have your EU Settlement Scheme decision letter printed or on your phone, if you have received one.

You may need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in your country of residence before travelling to the UK, such as if you are studying in the UK for six months or less. Please see our webpages on Healthcare for international students for more information. 

Things you might like to bring


You don't have to bring a computer to campus as there are plenty of computer rooms for students, but you may want to bring your desktop computer, laptop or tablet for use in your bedroom. You’ll be able to connect these to the campus wifi or wired network.

Did you know as a student at York you can download a free version of Microsoft 365 on your personal computer, laptop or device?


You don’t need to bring a printer with you, as printers are available across campus via our York Print Plus service. 

But if you do decide to bring your own, you won’t be able to connect it to the campus wifi or wired network. You’ll need to connect it directly to your computer using a USB cable (most printers include one of these in the box) and make sure the printer’s wireless functionality is switched off.

Games consoles and smart devices

Certain games consoles and specific smart home devices can connect to our ‘mydevices’ network on campus.

You will need to register your device with us so that they can connect to the network. As part of the registration process, you'll need to provide your device's MAC address.

The following devices are known to work on the mydevices network, please find instructions for how to connect them below:

You may try to connect other smart home devices to the mydevices network however we cannot guarantee that they will connect or work with full functionality if they do connect. 

This network should not be used to connect laptops, phones or tablets- please connect these devices to the eduroam network.  

You can also use the same registration page to register your games consoles for the wired network. If you need a network cable, you can collect one from the University Library.

What NOT to bring

Don't bring lots of personal belongings. There may be restrictions on the amount of luggage you can bring when travelling to the UK. Usually, you are advised not to bring more than two suitcases and one piece of hand luggage.

Storage space in university accommodation is also limited.

See below about sending luggage in advance.

Unfortunately, we don't allow personal kitchen appliances such as kettles, toasters, air fryers or rice cookers to be brought into accommodation. See the list at the top of the page for appliances supplied in campus accommodation or, if you're living off-campus, check what your landlord provides.

Don't bring your personal electric scooters or bikes. It's illegal to use them on public roads, pavements, in cycle lanes and in pedestrian-only areas. They can only be used on private land with the landowner's permission.

TIER, an external supplier of e-scooters and e-bikes, approved by the City of York Council, provide public the use of its electric e-scooters and bikes that are available to shuttle across campus or to travel into the city centre. Learn more about TIER in York.

If you’re travelling from a country in the EU you can currently bring any fresh foodstuffs - fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy or other animal products (eg fish, eggs and honey) - as well as plants into the UK.

Controls on plants and plant products will be phased in in 2021, so please check the government guidelines on personal food, plant and animal product imports before you arrive for the most up to date guidance. 

When travelling from outside the EU, there are strict rules about bringing food products, plants and plant products back into the UK for your own personal consumption or use. See government guidelines on personal food, plant and animal product imports.

Don't bring anything that could be a fire hazard, eg candles or oil burners. If you're in campus accommodation, don't bring mains operated fairy lights, though battery operated lights are okay. You'll be told more about fire regulations during your college induction.

Some smart home accessories (smart bulbs, smart plugs, etc) will not work on the University campus network.

If you’re living on campus, the University provides wifi and wired networking for you to use.

You are not allowed to use any of the following on the campus network. They can cause significant disruption and/or pose security risks.

  • Switches and repeaters not authorised by IT Services
  • Network routers of any kind
  • Any device which can provide DHCP services or otherwise offer IP addresses - this includes:
    • Personal and domestic routers
    • Personal firewall devices
    • Personal hotspots such as mifi devices
    • Laptops or PCs set up to provide Internet Connection Sharing or its equivalent
  • Wireless access points or wifi repeaters/extenders not installed and managed by IT Services.
  • Network printers
    • You don’t need to bring a printer with you, as printers are available across campus via our York Print Plus service. 
    • But if you do decide to bring your own, you won’t be able to connect it to the campus wifi or wired network. You’ll need to connect it directly to your computer using a USB cable (most printers include one of these in the box) and make sure the printer’s wireless functionality is switched off.

You cannot smoke in campus accommodation. If you're in private sector accommodation, check your contract.

Sticking posters on your walls can leave marks or even remove the paint, and you could be charged if the room needs redecorating when you move out. If you live on campus, use the noticeboard in your room for your pictures and posters.

Do not bring anything which could be classed as an offensive weapon, even if it is ornamental.

Sending luggage in advance

If you are unable to bring all your personal items in your luggage, make sure your belongings arrive after you have checked into your accommodation as there is no space for storing luggage at the University.

If you need to freight or store your belongings, local companies can help: