Skip to content Accessibility statement

Change of plan?


Check coronavirus information for postgraduate researchers to see changes to policy and procedure due to the outbreak of COVID-19.

There are many occasions when personal circumstances may make it necessary for you to change aspects of your course. However, the decision to make changes to your course should not be taken lightly. You should discuss any proposed changes with your supervisor. It is essential that you understand the implications that any changes may have.

Leave of absence

Take a break from your studies for medical or personal reasons

Change your mode of attendance

Switch from full-time to part-time or vice-versa

Change your programme

Upgrade or downsize your degree, or transfer between departments

Extend your deadline

Take extra time to write up your thesis

Withdraw from your programme

Leave the University

What are the Special Cases Committee looking for in an application?

Presentation given by Research Student Administration to the termly 'Gradmin' forum:

What are the SCC looking for? (PDF , 3,783kb)

RSCC deadlines 2020/21 (PDF , 22kb)

Rules and regulations

These pages are intended as an accessible guide for students considering changes to their course. Full rules and regulations can be found in the Policy on Research Degrees.

Important information

The following may all be affected by changes to your course. Please ensure you are aware of all the effects that changing your course may have.

International students

Changes to your course may affect your visa. You must contact an Immigration Adviser before making changes.

Immigration Advice Service

Student Hub, Market Square

Tel: +44 (0)1904 324140


Office hours:

  • Term time: 9am - 5pm, Monday to Thursday, 10am - 5pm Friday
  • Office hours: Vacation: 10am - 4pm, Monday to Friday


University accommodation

If you take a leave of absence, switch to part-time study, or withdraw from your course, you must terminate your accommodation agreement within four weeks of your change of status.

Accommodation Services

Tel: +44 (0)1904 32 2165


Office hours:
Monday to Thursday: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Friday: 10.00am - 5.00pm


Council Tax

Changes to your course may affect your eligibility for exemption from Council Tax. Council Tax rules may vary depending on where you live, and can be complex. You should speak to a Student Welfare Adviser or contact your local council.

Student Advice

Student Hub, Market Square

Tel: +44 (0)1904 32 4140


Office hours:

  • Office Hours: Term time: 9am - 5pm, Monday to Thursday, 10am - 5pm Friday
  • Office hours: Vacation: 10am - 4pm, Monday to Friday   



Changes to your course may affect your course fees. You can find out more about changes to your fee status from the Fees Office.

Fees Office

Finance Services, Market Square

Tel: +44 1904 322120


Office hours: Monday-Friday
10.00am - 4.00pm



Your eligibility for internal or external funding may be affected by changes to your course. This includes York Scholarships, Research Council studentships, US Federal Loans, other foreign loans, sponsorship, charity funding, etc.

It is your responsibility to be aware of any implications that changes to your course may have for your funding. You can find out more from your funding body or the Research Student Administration Team.

Research Student Administration

Student Administration Building, Market Square

Tel: +44 (0)1904 32 4519


Opening hours: Monday to Friday
9.00am - 5.00pm



Information for supervisors

If your supervisee is making a change to their programme, guidance is available from Research Student Administration.

Information for supervisors