Change of plan

There are many occasions when personal circumstances may make it necessary for you to change aspects of your course.

The decision to make changes to your course should not be taken lightly and you should discuss any proposed changes with your supervisor. It is essential that you understand the implications that any changes may have.

You will receive an outcome to your change of plan request within one month of it being signed off by your department.

Contact us

PGR Administration
+44 (0)1904 325962
Student Hub, Information Centre Basement, Market Square


Take extra time to write up your thesis.

Leave of absence

Take a break from your studies for medical or personal reasons.

Change your mode of attendance

Switch from full-time to part-time or vice-versa.

Change your programme

Upgrade or downsize your degree, or transfer between departments.

Leave the University

What to do if you wish to withdraw from your course and leave the University.

Important implications of changing your plan

Please ensure you are aware of all the effects that changing your course may have.

Changes to your course may affect your visa. See our information about changes of location and absences for Student visa holders. You must contact an Immigration Adviser before making changes.

Immigration Advice Service

Changes to your course may affect your course fees. You can find out more about changes to your fee status from the Fees Office.

Fees Office

Your eligibility for internal or external funding may be affected by changes to your course. This includes York Scholarships, Research Council studentships, US Federal Loans, other foreign loans, sponsorship, charity funding, etc.

It is your responsibility to be aware of any implications that changes to your course may have for your funding. You can find out more from your funding body or the PGR Administration Team.

PGR Administration

If you take a leave of absence, switch to part-time study, or withdraw from your course, you must terminate your accommodation agreement within four weeks of your change of status.

Accommodation Services

Changes to your course may affect your eligibility for exemption from Council Tax. Council Tax rules may vary depending on where you live, and can be complex. You should speak to a Student Welfare Adviser or contact your local council.

Student Hub

Contact us

PGR Administration
+44 (0)1904 325962
Student Hub, Information Centre Basement, Market Square