Skip to content Accessibility statement


Whether you're interested in working in academia or other sectors, Careers and Placements can provide advice, information and guidance to help you explore your options:

The Research Excellence Training (RET) Team can help you gain transferable skills through information resources, a training and development programme, and support with career planning. Find out more about skills training.

International students

The Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme allows you to work in the UK for 12 months following your PhD. You must apply after your viva and before you submit your final bound thesis. You cannot apply once your course has been completed. You must also have a current Tier 4 visa.

Working in the UK after your studies