About the York Graduate Research School
Established in 2015, the York Graduate Research School (YGRS) connects more than 2,000 postgraduate researchers across all disciplines and brings together the support you need to make the most of your research project.
Alongside your department, we help you engage with York’s dynamic research environment. We offer high quality training, peer to peer support, professional development advice, and opportunities to engage others with your research. We also advertise teaching positions within the University and bring you the latest news and activities for PGRs on our community blog.
Professor Kate Arnold has been Dean of York Graduate Research School since September 2020.
An ecologist by background, for 20+ years she has carried out research at the interface of science, policy and regulation. Current projects, based in York's Department of Environment and Geography, are investigating the effects of environmental change, including chemical contaminants and habitat management, on wildlife.
From 2018-2020, she worked for Defra heading up an EU exit strategy team focusing on circular economy and single use plastic policies.
Tackling ethnic inequalities
YGRS is leading a region-wide project to help improve opportunities for under-represented postgraduate students.
We're part of the Yorkshire Consortium for Equity in Doctoral Education (YCEDE) which has been awarded funding from the Office for Students and Research England to tackle ethnic inequalities in access to postgraduate research.
As a member of the Russell Group, the University of York attracts funding to support postgraduate research from funding councils, as well as charities, industry and philanthropic donors. The University of York is committed to investing in the next generation of researchers.
Our Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs) and Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs) offer excellent funded opportunities for postgraduate researchers from the UK and overseas.
Current CDTs and DTPs that offer PGR studentships at the University of York
- EPSRC Mobility DTP in Leadership and Excellence in Circular, Resource-efficient, Sustainable Manufacturing
- ESRC White Rose DTP
- NERC DTP - PANORAMA
- BBSRC White Rose DTP in Mechanistic Biology
- NERC ACCE DTP - Adapting to the Challenges of a Changing Environment
- AHRC WRoCAH DTP - White Rose College of the Arts and Humanities
- MRC DiMeN DTP - Discovery Medicine North Doctoral Training Partnership
- EPSRC Fusion CDT - EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training: Science and Technology of Fusion Energy
- STFC DTP - The Science and Technology Facilities Council DTPs
- Industrial Cooperative Awards in Science & Technology - EPSRC ICASE DTP
- NERC ECORISC
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training: Intelligent Games and Game Intelligence - IGGI
- Industrial Cooperative Awards in Science & Technology - BBSRC iCASE