Full service and self-service hours
The University Library’s opening hours are currently 8am to midnight every day:
To enter the buildings, you must have a valid University or Library Card and wear a face-covering, unless you are exempt.
Visitors cannot currently enter our buildings.
Opening times are split into full service hours and self-service hours:
Current service hours
Full service hours
Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm
Saturday & Sunday: 9am to 5pm (via phone, email and chat)
Monday to Sunday: 5pm - 12 midnight
The Library Help Desk will be closed on Sundays through the Summer vacation period.
Our vacation service hours vary on an annual basis, mainly around Easter and Christmas. You can keep up to date by checking:
We will announce any planned or unplanned closures:
Full service hours vs self-service hours
During full service hours you have access to the full range of Library services including help from staff.
During self-service hours you can:
- Borrow items using self-issue machines
- Return items using the return point
- Borrow To Be Collected items you've requested, which you'll find on the hold shelf on the ground floor of Morrell
- Borrow DVDs and other audio-visual items
- Renew, request and book items via the Library Catalogue
- Pay outstanding library fines and charges using the self-issue machine with self-service payments attached (card only, 50p minimum charge) or the online store
- Use all the open access collections in the Library as well as online resources
- Copy, print and scan using York Print Plus, and top up your account online or at the cash kiosk
- Borrow keys for lockers on the ground floor of Morrell (except for the accessible lockers)
- Eat and drink in the Library Café
- Ask staff for guidance about our services
However, you can't:
- Take out items if your charges are over £20, unless you pay via self-service payment options
- Take out "Reference-use only" Interlending items, keys for accessible locker or lockers in the Fairhurst Postgraduate lounge, or other equipment
- Get specialist help from Library staff or the IT Support team