Awards and achievements
The University of York is one of the success stories in UK higher education. Since our foundation in 1963, we have powered our way to a consistently high ranking in the UK and are one of just six post-war universities to have appeared in the world top 100.
Times Higher Education Awards
In recent years we have won five prestigious Times Higher Education Awards:
Queen's Anniversary Prize
York is a five-times winner of the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for research in the following departments and centres:
York holds twelve awards from Athena SWAN for our commitment to gender equality:
- bronze awards for
- the University as a whole
- the Department of Education
- the Department of Electronic Engineering
- the Environment Department
- the Department of Health Sciences
- the Department of Mathematics
- the Centre for Health Economics
- three silver awards for
- the Hull York Medical School
- the Department of Physics
- the Department of Psychology
- two gold awards for
- the Department of Chemistry
- the Department of Biology.
Times Higher Education World University Rankings
QS World University Rankings
The Times and Sunday Times
Complete University Guide
Research Excellence Framework
Teaching Excellence Framework
- Silver in the Teaching Excellence Framework 2017; the University of York delivers high quality teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It consistently exceeds rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education.
QAA Institutional Review
The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) works to safeguard standards and improve the quality of UK higher education.
In the most recent Institutional Review of the University of York (2012) we received an excellent outcome, and were commended on the enhancement of student learning opportunities.
Find out more