Awards and achievements
The University of York is one of the success stories in UK higher education.
Since our foundation in 1963, we have powered our way to a consistently high ranking in the UK and are one of just six post-war universities to have appeared in the world top 100.
University of the Year shortlisted
We're proud to announce that we were shortlisted for two prestigious University of the Year awards:
- Times Higher Education Awards 2021
- The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
18th overall in the Complete University Guide 2022 with seven subjects ranked in the top 20
Times Higher Education World University Rankings
- 169th in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings
- Top 100 in the world for arts and humanities (2022)
- Top 175 in the world for life sciences (2022)
- Top 150 in the world for social sciences (2022)
National Student Survey
Seven of our subjects ranked first for 'overall satisfaction' out of the Russell Group universities included in the National Student Survey 2021.
In total, 33 of our subjects ranked within the top 10 in the Russell Group.
Research Excellence Framework
We were ranked joint 10th in the UK for the quality of our research in the Times Higher Education (THE) ranking of the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021.
All of our subject areas ranked in the top 30 in the UK, with four of our Departments positioned in the top five: Language and Linguistics (1st), Philosophy (2nd), Sociology (4th), Education (5th).
THE Impact Rankings
The Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings is a global performance league table that assesses universities against the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The University of York was ranked seventh globally (3rd in the UK) in 2022 against UN SDG 17 Partnerships for the Goals, for its ability to collaborate with partners and influence government policy and strategy around sustainable development.
We also fell within the UK top 10 (top 100 globally) for:
- SDG 5 Gender Equality (6th in the UK, =44th in the world)
- SDG 11 Sustainable cities and communities (10th UK, =60th world)
- SDG 14 Life below water (8th UK, 51st world)
York ranked in the banding 101st - 200th out of 1406 institutions worldwide. This was the first time that the University entered the table.
Queen's Anniversary Prize
York is a six-times winner of the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for research in the following departments and centres:
Times Higher Education Awards
In recent years we have won five prestigious Times Higher Education Awards:
- 2015: Best Development and Alumni Relations team
- 2012: Outstanding Support for Early Career Researchers
- 2011: Outstanding Engineering Research Team, member of the Widening Participation Initiative of the Year partnership
- 2010: University of the Year
- 2009: Outstanding Contribution to Leadership Development
Quality Assurance Review
The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) works to safeguard standards and improve the quality of UK higher education. In the most recent Institutional Review of the University of York (2012) we received an excellent outcome, and were commended on the enhancement of student learning opportunities.