Awards, achievements and ranking
The University of York is one of the success stories in UK higher education.
Since our foundation in 1963, we have powered our way to a consistently high ranking in the UK and are one of just six post-war universities to have appeared in the world top 100.
Joint 17th in the Complete University Guide 2024, with 13 subjects ranked in the UK top 10
University of the Year shortlisted
We have been shortlisted for University of the Year in the Times Higher Education (THE) Awards 2023. This nomination was based on our student-focused response to the cost of living crisis.
However, this isn't the first time our efforts have been recognised. We have previously been shortlisted for two prestigious University of the Year awards:
- Times Higher Education Awards 2021
- The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
Times Higher Education World University Rankings
- 147th in the world in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (2024)
- 82nd in the world for 'international outlook'
- 18th in the UK
- Top 50 in the world for arts and humanities (2023)
- Top 200 in the world for life sciences (2023)
- Top 150 in the world for social sciences (2023)
National Student Survey
QS World University Rankings
Research Excellence Framework
We were ranked joint 10th in the UK for the quality of our research in the Times Higher Education (THE) ranking of the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021.
All of our subject areas ranked in the top 30 in the UK, with four of our Departments positioned in the top five: Language and Linguistics (1st), Philosophy (2nd), Sociology (4th), Education (5th).
Teaching Excellence Framework
In 2023, we achieved our second consecutive Gold Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) award.
The award is decided by an independent panel of experts, focusing on areas that students care about the most: teaching, learning and achieving positive outcomes from their studies.
THE Impact Rankings
The Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings is a global performance league table that assesses universities against the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The University of York was ranked 4th in the UK (=27th globally) in 2023 against UN SDG 11 Sustainable cities and communities. This achievement recognises our research and internal approaches to sustainability, helping to make cities and settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and more sustainable.
We also fell within the Top 100 globally for:
- SDG 10 Reduced Inequalities (=76th in the world)
- SDG 17 Partnerships for the Goals (86th in the world)
York ranked in the banding 101st - 200th out of 1591 institutions worldwide.
QS Sustainability Rankings
The University of York is ranked 29th globally in the QS Sustainability Rankings 2024. We've climbed seven places since last year and retained our UK top-10 status.
Queen's Anniversary Prize
York is a six-times winner of the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for research in the following departments and centres:
Times Higher Education Awards
In recent years we have won five prestigious Times Higher Education Awards:
- 2015: Best Development and Alumni Relations team
- 2012: Outstanding Support for Early Career Researchers
- 2011: Outstanding Engineering Research Team, member of the Widening Participation Initiative of the Year partnership
- 2010: University of the Year
- 2009: Outstanding Contribution to Leadership Development