These scholarships are open to pupils from schools and colleges in the Yorkshire and Humber region, who are applying to any UK university (not just York) for entry in September 2024.
Applications for 2024/25 will open in March 2024, so please keep an eye on the web page for any updates.
The scholarships are worth a one-off payment of £1,750 in year 1 and are funded by the Holbeck Charitable Trust.
They are aimed at talented students who may have faced challenging circumstances (social, personal or educational) and have successfully applied to university perhaps in the face of adversity.
The application process is competitive with a limited number of scholarships available.
For help with your application please see the Holbeck Guidance Notes 2023 (PDF , 178kb)
Open to UK (home) students only.
The scholarships are administered by York, but eligible students could be applying to attend any higher education institution in the UK.
Eligible students must:
- attend school/college in the Yorkshire and Humber region
- be a permanent resident in the UK, classified as Home (UK) in university admissions procedures
- be engaged in the UCAS application process, applying to commence their first year of university study in 2024
- have predicted grades of ABB or better at A-Level or equivalent
- have the drive to attend university and complete a course.
Eligible students must also meet at least two of the following conditions:
- be in receipt of, or entitled to, discretionary payments at school/college, or has a household income below £42,875
- have no experience of higher education in their immediate family (not including siblings)
- have overcome significant difficulties in their personal, social or domestic life that has placed extra demands upon them. This might include being / having been care experienced, estranged from family, experiencing a disability or long-term health condition, or are a refugee.
We'll share further details here when applications open in March 2024.
The Holbeck scholarship gave me not only financial assistance but also confidence to try harder at University. Also having a useful network to use to arrange interviews and advice for recruitment stages was priceless. The scholarship has also helped me secure various interviews showing that I have been able to prove my academic ability through hardship.
Holbeck scholarship recipient
If you have questions relating to any of our funding opportunities, please see the contact details on the specific scholarship or bursary page.