There are different fee levels for UK/EU and international students.
Your fee status determines the level of fee you will be asked to pay, as well as what access you'll have to bursaries and some other forms of support.
What determines fee status?
Your fee status is decided according to:
- your nationality or immigration status
- your ordinary residence
Guidelines for fee status are established by the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA). The regulations are detailed and there are some exceptions for refugees and frontier workers.
Each university and authority you deal with makes its own decision about your fee status, based on UKCISA guidelines.
Are you eligible for home fee status?
In order to be classified as a Home/EU student for fee purposes, you would normally need to have UK/EU nationality and to have been ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area for the past three years.
Time spent in the UK/EU for educational purposes is not counted as ordinary residence and some sorts of time spent abroad can be disregarded.
Students living in the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey are charged the same fee as UK/EU students.
- Conditions specified by UKCISA (ukcisa.org.uk)
Not sure what your fee status is?
If you're unsure what your fee status is, in the first instance you should consult UKCISA (ukcisa.org.uk). If you're still not sure, you can complete our fee status form:
Returning your fee status form
Please return the completed form by post, email or fax to the Undergraduate Admissions Team:
- Post: Undergraduate Admissions, Student Recruitment & Admissions, University of York, York, YO10 5DD
- Email: email@example.com (subject: Fee status assessment)
- Fax: 01904 323538
Please complete the form above and return by post, email or in person to the Student Records and Visa Compliance team:
- Post: Student Records and Visa Compliance, Student Services, University of York, York, YO10 5DD
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person: Student Hub, Market Square (Office hours Term time: 9am - 5pm, Vacation: 10am - 4pm Monday to Friday)