York Access Scheme 2019/20
Have you faced social, personal or educational challenges which have affected your performance in education?
The York Access Scheme aims to improve access to the University for applicants who have faced challenging circumstances.
It allows you to provide additional information which will be considered alongside your UCAS application.
We can also provide you with additional support before you start your studies and in the first weeks of term.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for the York Access Scheme you need to fulfil one or more of the following criteria:
- Have grown up in, or are living in, local authority care.
- Be in receipt of, or entitled to, discretionary payments at school/college OR be in receipt of, or entitled to, free school meals.
- Attend, or have attended, a school which achieved less than 58% A* to C passes at GCSE in 2017 (including Maths and English).
- Have had your educational studies hindered by circumstances in your personal, social or domestic life.
As part of the scheme, we offer pre-application information and support.
Support for individuals
We can provide:
- Information, advice and guidance on applying to higher education
- Information on finance for higher education
- Advice on how to make the most of your personal statement (workshop based or by phone/email for those unable to travel to the University)
Support for schools, colleges, and advisers
We can provide:
- A variety of talks and visits to campus
- We may also be able to offer sessions for teachers, tutors and advisers on topics such as reference writing for higher education and how to advise on making the most of personal statements.
High quality and well targeted applications can make a positive difference to the success of an application so we encourage advisers and applicants to contact us for further help as early as possible.
You need to complete a University of York Access Scheme application form and submit this to the University before, or at the same time as, applying through UCAS.
If you would like advice and guidance before you apply be sure to get in touch with us as early as possible so that we can help you.
- Access Scheme application form 2019 (PDF , 422kb)
- Access Scheme application form 2019 (MS Word , 54kb)
- Part 1 is to be completed by the applicant (sections 1-4)
- Part 2 of the form is to be completed by the school/college referee (sections 5-8)
- If you're not currently in education and are unable to provide a school/college reference then please complete Part 1 only of the application form. You should confirm in section 3 'Your Application' that you are unable to provide a school/college reference.
Submit your application
All completed University of York Access Scheme forms should be returned to email@example.com.
If you are sending supporting documentation, this should either be scanned and emailed to the same address or sent by post to:
University of York Access Scheme
Student Recruitment and Admissions
The University of York