Specific learning difficulties (SpLD): dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, Irlen syndrome, attention deficit disorder (ADD) or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Please note: University of York are no longer accepting any new students for DSA funded Specialist 1:1 Study Skills.

What support is available?

You may be eligible for Disabled Students' Allowances, which can contribute towards the costs of specialist study skills, and useful technologies and other aids to help with your studies.   

If you have an SpLD, we can put in place a Student Support Plan which will include recommended academic adjustments.

What evidence do I need?

You will need to provide us with a copy of your educational psychologist's assessment report. 

We cannot accept Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) or school reports. If you are unsure about your evidence we are happy to look at it and advise you further.

Don’t have evidence?

If you think you might have dyslexia or dyspraxia, but do not have a diagnosis, we can help.

Students can arrange an independent educational psychology assessment, which are conducted by external companies; Educational Guidance Services and Yorkshire Dyslexia are two local ones. There is a cost, although if you cannot afford this you may be eligible for the Student Support Fund to cover some or all of the cost. 

A diagnosis for ADHD should be sought via your GP who will make a referral to a special service.