First, check what's provided in your accommodation. If you're going to be living on campus see the list below, or ask your landlord if you're renting privately

All University kitchens contain:

  • fridges and freezers
  • ovens and hobs
  • sinks
  • kettles or water boilers
  • microwaves
  • toasters
  • tables and chairs
  • cupboards
  • waste and recycling bins
  • cleaning equipment, eg a mop and bucket and a vacuum cleaner

All University bedrooms contain:

  • a bed and mattress, with a mattress cover. Beds in Constantine College and Langwith College are 3/4 size, all other colleges have standard single beds.
  • desk and chair
  • desk lighting
  • wardrobe/storage
  • shelving
  • noticeboard
  • curtains or blinds
  • bin
  • a wash basin and mirror (unless you have an ensuite)

If you have an ensuite, you will also have:

  • a shower and/or bath
  • toilet
  • sink
  • a mirror
  • storage/hooks

Please note:

  • Communal bathrooms will include toilet paper, but if you have an en suite you'll be to bring your own.
  • If you bring an extension cord, remember to bring it to your college's Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) session at the start of the academic year.

If you're not living on campus, check our advice and tips for moving in to private accommodation. You might also find our map of showers and food preparation facilities useful while you get settled in.

If you're arriving from overseas, you should look through our pre-arrival checklist for international students getting ready to arrive and what to bring.

Contents insurance is included in the price of University accommodation. If you're living off campus, you should check if your rent includes contents insurance. If not, it is highly advisable to insure your personal belongings against loss, theft, accidental damage and fire.

Things you will need

Photo ID

It is very important to bring photo ID (passport, driving licence, citizen card or national identity card) with you. You will need this to prove your identity and to pick up your University card and room key (if in university accommodation).

Passport photos

You will need at least two passport photos.


If you are an international student, make sure you have the correct type of visa and paperwork with you. See New international students - what to bring.

Make sure you have enough money to cover your first few weeks in case your loan or bursary does not come through straight away.

We have emergency loans if you get into difficulties.

Things you might like to bring

If you bring a television and will be watching BBC iPlayer or live TV then you'll need to buy a TV licence. However, most rooms on campus have poor reception and you may find your TV doesn't work, so check before you buy a TV licence. There will be a TV in your college common room.

If you're living off campus and will be watching BBC iPlayer or live TV, you'll need to buy a licence when you get here.

You will need to buy a TV licence even if you watch BBC iPlayer or live TV on your computer, phone, tablet or gaming system. Find out more about buying a licence.

You don't have to bring a computer to campus as there are plenty of computer rooms for students, but you may want to bring a PC, laptop or tablet for use in your bedroom.

Did you know as a student at York you can download a free version of Microsoft Office 365 on your personal computer, laptop or device? 

We are a cycle friendly campus and York is a Cycle City. We have external bike sheds so bring a good quality lock and chain (or buy a high quality discounted lock from Your Shop in Market Square when you get here).

You can buy a recycled bike after you get here from the many unwanted bikes cleared from campus. Find out more about recycled bikes.

What NOT to bring

Storage space is limited so don't bring large TVs, your own furniture or lots of personal belongings.

There are large communal fridges in campus accommodation. If you require a fridge for medicine, please contact Accommodation Services (you should include this in the application form when you apply for accommodation).

There are several laundrettes on campus for your laundry.

If you're in private accommodation, check what is provided with your landlord.

See the list at the top of the page for appliances supplied in campus accommodation or, if you're living off-campus, check what your landlord provides.

If you're an international student, we encourage you to buy electrical appliances (such as rice cookers) when you're in the UK to make sure they're compatible with our electric sockets. All electrical equipment needs to be safety tested - your college will arrange a testing session when you arrive.

Sorry, we don't allow pets in campus accommodation. If you're in private sector accommodation, check with your landlord.

Don't bring anything that could be a fire hazard, eg candles, oil burners or a chip pan. If you're in campus accommodation, don't bring mains operated fairy lights, though battery operated lights are OK. You'll be told more about fire regulations during your college induction.

You cannot smoke in campus accommodation. If you're in private sector accommodation, check your contract.

Sticking posters on your walls can leave marks or even remove the paint, and you could be charged if the room needs redecorating when you move out. Use the noticeboard in your room for your pictures and posters if you live on campus.

Do not bring anything which could be classed as an offensive weapon, even if it is ornamental.

Do not bring your car. Most students who live on campus cannot park here - there's great public and campus transport to and around the University.

There are some exceptions for people who have special circumstances, live outside York, or are studying on certain courses, and Halifax College has limited student parking permits available on a first-come, first-served basis. Check student parking permit eligibility.

If you are a non-EU student, you are prohibited from bringing food and plant produce into the UK. See government guidelines on bringing food, plant and animal products into the UK.

Sending luggage in advance

If you are unable to bring all your personal items when you arrive, make sure your belongings arrive after you have checked into your accommodation as there is no space for storing luggage at the University.

Storage firms and removal companies can store luggage during vacations and, for international students, they will also often send your belongings from your home country to York, if you choose to send them in advance.