Skip to content Accessibility statement
Home>About the University>Transport, maps and parking>Cars and parking>Student parking

Student parking permits

Parking for students on campus is limited. Campus is easy to get around by bus, bike and foot, so we suggest most students try to leave their car at home. 

Students wanting to park on campus will require a valid parking permit or pay and display ticket.

Qualifying for a student parking permit

Students with a blue badge or University disability permit can park in accessible bays.

You’ll be eligible to apply if you meet one of the following criteria:

Have an accessibility need

that qualifies you for a university disability parking permit

Live outside the York Outer Ring Road

during semester time

Are a Halifax College resident

(80 permits only. First come, first served)

Live in couples accommodation

and your partner has to study or work off-campus

Are resident in family accommodation

(1–23 Garrowby Way)

Are one of the qualifying student types below

Qualifying student types: Health Sciences, Hull York Medical School, PGCE, MA Social Work, undergraduate Masters in Social Work (MSoCW), BA Social Work 3rd Year.

Parking permits cannot be issued to enable you to travel to outside activities, including paid employment.

How to apply for a student permit

1. Decide on which permit type you need by using the table below.

2. Log into the online permit system and create an account, from there you’ll be able to apply for and amend your parking permit.

  • Returning students must apply for a new permit each year
  • Use different login details to your University account
  • All permits are non-refundable

3. View car park locations on the student parking google map.

Map Key
An undergraduate permit parking icon Undergraduate campus permit
Postgraduate parking permit icon Postgraduate campus permit

Log in to the parking permit system

Which permit do I need?

There are several different types of permit, depending on the type of parking you require. Find the locations each permit covers on the map. Click the arrow in the corner to expand the menu.

Student parking permit types

All student parking permits are £35, apart from Garrowby Way, Accessible, and some special circumstances permits, which are free of charge.

Permit Suitable for Price
Accessible and special circumstances permit. Blue badge holders or those with accessibility needs. Free
Undergraduate student campus. Eligible undergraduates. £35
Undergraduate student campus & King’s Manor. Eligible undergraduates studying at King’s Manor. £35
Postgraduate student campus. Eligible postgraduates. £35
Postgraduate student campus & King’s Manor. Eligible postgraduates studying at King’s Manor. £35
Halifax College. 80 Halifax residents. First-come-first-served. £35
Garrowby Way. 1-23 Garrowby Way family accommodation residents. Free

Accessible and special circumstances permit

To be eligible for an Accessible Parking Permit, you must:

  • Be a current blue badge holder. You'll need to upload a photo of both sides of your blue badge to the parking permits portal when you apply.

If you don't have a blue badge, you might still qualify for a temporary accessible permit by providing:

  • Evidence that you're waiting for a blue badge assessment (you can find info on applying for a Blue Badge on the Citizens Advice website).
  • A copy of the documents supporting your blue badge application.

Accessible and special circumstances parking permit guidance