Accessible travel and parking
Advice on travel and parking for those with accessibility requirements.
The University of York works with AccessAble to develop guides to help make travel to and across campus more accessible.
Getting around campus
Buildings throughout the campus are linked by covered walkways. Ramps and external lifts provide alternatives to steps at ground level in most parts of the University.
There is a Duty Manager at public events in the Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall and Central Hall and all public access buildings have lifts.
Accessible parking bays are available across campus, reserved for blue badge holders or staff and students with a valid University accessible parking permit.
While accessible parking is widely available across Campus East and West, parking at King's Manor is limited, so we advise you to check first with the reception for availability by phoning +44 (0)1904 323995.
Accessible parking permits
Accessible parking permits for staff and students are free of charge and you can apply for them via the online parking permit system.
To qualify for an accessible permit, you will need to demonstrate that you have a long-term or temporary accessibility need; acceptable evidence includes a Blue Badge or a letter from your doctor.
Bicycle parking is available close to all building entrances. You can find a map of all bicycle parking on the cycling and walking page.
All buses on the 66 route from the train station to the University are wheelchair-accessible. Outside rush hour periods, the journey takes around 20 minutes. Transport on the 66 and ub.1 between Campus West and East is free for staff and students.
A taxi from the train station to the University takes from 15 to 20 minutes and costs about £8.
Drop-off points for common campus destinations:
- Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall: Just off University Road. Has a labelled accessible entrance and you can be dropped off just next to it.
- Information Centre: Next to Market Square, Campus Central parking.
- Central Hall: By the central lake. You can be dropped off at the end of Harewood Way.
- Exhibition Centre: Southern edge of the lake, Campus South or West parking.
- J B Morrell Library: Campus Central or Campus North parking.
- National STEM Learning Centre: (NSLC) Campus North parking.