We try really hard to minimise the level of disruption that may occur when expanding and renewing our campus, but sometimes, for example, we have to close specific areas or divert footpaths to carry out necessary work safely, and as quickly as possible.
Keep up-to-date with current works so you can better plan your journey to, from and around campus.
Campus works near York Sport Village: from 30 May to 14 June 2023
From 30 May, works will be taking place on campus east between the new nursery site and the entrance to the York Sport Village for two weeks. To avoid closing the access to the Sports Village completely, some of these works will take place overnight. To minimise any disruption to students living nearby, these have been specifically planned to take place after the current exam period ends. Towards the end of the work, access to campus from Hull Road will also be limited with Kimberlow Lane fully closed. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Student Centre car park closures: from 3 May 2023
From Wednesday 3 May, car park 2.4 (Campus Central) will be partially closed to allow safe demolitions to take place for the new Student Centre. The nearest alternative car parks are:
- Car park 3.1 (Campus North) located behind the library
- Church Lane car park which is within walking distance to many buildings on Campus West
Accessible bays near the Security Centre will be closed but the accessible bays near the Spring Lane Building will be unaffected at this stage. Additional accessible bays will be provided further along in the car park. The route to the lift and library will remain level and clear.
Fairhurst Library lift works: from April to May 2023
- Work to replace the internal lift in the Fairhurst building is scheduled to last for seven weeks (until the end of May). There will be no lift access in the Fairhurst building during this time, as well as likely disruption from noise. The external lift to the Fairhurst building and the lifts in Morrell, Burton and Borthwick will be unaffected.
Institute of Safe Autonomy solar project: from 13 March 2023
- A new project to install over 500 solar photovoltaic panels to the Institute of Safe Autonomy (ISA) building will commence from Monday 13 March 2023 until early summer (2023) which is likely to cause some noise disruption in and around the building.
Campus East nursery works: November 2022 to October 2023
- The footpath adjacent to the site has been closed and will remain closed for the entirety of the works. An alternative route is available by following the path across the road to the Sports Village.
Derwent P-Block works: November 2022 to December 2023
- P-Block in Derwent College will remain empty and inaccessible to students while accommodation improvements are taking place. The footpath that runs from University Road to the car park at the rear of Derwent College is closed to allow for access to the block. Pedestrians should use the main pavement next to University Road as an alternative.