Concerned about yourself?

A cygnet alone amongst grass and daisies

University is a time of great change and sometimes this can be difficult to manage.

If you find that you are fluctuating between medium and severe distress as shown in the graphic on the mental illness web page, then you should take steps.

In crisis now

Call 999 for emergency services - or for security services on campus call 01904 32 3333 or use the Safezone app.

How can I help myself?

Take a look at the common challenges as what you're experiencing may be a normal part of student life. 

If you think you may have a mental illness, there are often things you can do to manage your difficulties.

Our mental illness webpages contain self-help techniques and advice, as well as information on how we can help and what to do if you need assistance.

How can we help?

You can discuss your concerns with your College Welfare Team or your Academic Supervisor. They are there to listen, support and point you to other services when needed.

They may recommend the University's Open Door, a team of professionals available to any registered student experiencing psychological or mental health difficulties. Open Door offer a range of services depending on your needs. 

Talk to your doctor

If you aren't already registered with a doctor in York, make sure you do. Doctors can help with diagnosis and treatment.

Friends and family

Don't forget your friends and family. People who know you well and care about you can be an important source of support.

Concerned about someone else

Help and support

Who to contact

For initial Open Door appointments please complete the online referral form.
Open Door, Sally Baldwin Block B
Tel: +44 (0)1904 322140

Opening Times

Term Time: Monday - Friday 9am - 4.15pm
Vacation Times: Monday - Friday 10am - 4pm

Please note we are closed weekends and Bank Holidays

Sources of support