Accessibility statement

Student Support Fund

The Student Support Fund helps students who are experiencing unexpected financial difficulty due to an unforeseen change in their circumstances. It's available to all full-time current students, UK and international, undergraduate and postgraduate.

You can apply for assistance from the funds in 2021/22 from 1 October 2021.

If you are experiencing urgent financial hardship, please speak to a Student Adviser at the Student Hub as soon as possible. Assistance from the Student Support Fund is designed with longer-term funding in mind.

We ask that all students read this page carefully before proceeding to the relevant application form.

When will I know the outcome of my application?

It can take up to four weeks for an assessment to be completed from when we received your application and supporting evidence. The Student Support Fund is a discretionary fund and awards are not guaranteed. Find out more about how we decide an outcome.

Will I have to pay the money back?

You may be offered a non-repayable grant, an interest-free loan, or a combination of the two. It depends on your financial situation. If you are offered an award as a loan, this will be confirmed within your outcome letter.

Before you apply

Before applying to the Student Support Fund, you may wish to consider the following:

  • Have you made adequate provision for tuition fees and living costs prior to starting your studies? Awards can not be used to make up a shortfall in funding.
  • Are you studying on a visa? We recommend that you make an appointment with a trained International Student Adviser. This appointment will not affect your visa or your application for support.
  • Have you taken out your full entitlement to financial student support for this academic year? This includes taking out the maximum amounts of Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan, or US federal loans that you are entitled to.
  • Have you any other areas of income available to you? This includes parental contributions and part-time work.
  • Have you made use of any interest/charge-free overdraft facilities available to you? Please read your bank's terms and conditions carefully before deciding to take out an overdraft.
  • Have you taken into consideration any savings as part of your expendable income? All of your savings will be taken into account as part of your assessment, regardless of whether they have been earmarked for a specific purpose.
  • Are you able to demonstrate a shortfall in your finances? Students are expected to have made reasonable adjustments to their lifestyles to ensure appropriate budgeting measures are in place.

We recommend that you make use of all available resources to assist you in managing your money. This includes, but is not limited to:

If you would like support in managing your money, you can discuss your personal circumstances with one of our dedicated Student Advisers. Appointments can be made via the self-referral form online.

How to apply

What supporting evidence do I need to provide?

You will be asked to upload the following as part of the form process:

  • Bank/Building Society Statements for every account in your name, including savings, overseas, and empty/unused accounts for the past three months.
  • An explanation of any of the following appearing on your statements:
    • all spending over £100, ie what the payment was for
    • Confirmation or award letters of all funding you receive, for example your Student Finance award letter, York Bursary award letter, scholarship award letter,
    • Evidence of your rent/mortgage, for example tenancy agreement, which must include your name, the address of the property, the rental period, and the monthly charge.
  • all transfers between accounts; we need to know what the transfer was for, and who it went to (even if this seems obvious)
  • all credits, no matter how small or how obvious; we need to know who the payment was from/to and what it was for.

Explanations for transactions in your accounts can be added as notes to your statements or by writing them on a separate document. Remember to have separate lists for each account.

Natwest Bank








Refund from returned item




Laptop repair




Transferred from my savings account

Depending on your circumstances, you should also submit the following documents, if applicable:

  • Credit card statements for the most recent month, including explanations for all spend and for any cash withdrawals
  • Evidence of any income beyond funding, eg wage slips
  • Evidence that you are in receipt of DSA
  • Evidence of any benefits you may receive, eg Child Tax Credit
  • A copy of your invoice or bill confirming your SpLD Diagnostic Test and/or DSA equipment receipt
  • Evidence of any short term loans you have taken out
  • Evidence of childcare costs, such as nursery invoices, plus any evidence of childcare support that you may be receiving
  • Evidence of unexpected and necessary medical costs, if mentioned on your supporting statement within your application
  • Other evidence you wish to support your application

Should we require further evidence, we will contact you within five working days of submission of your application. Failing to provide all required evidence when prompted within 14 days will result in your application being closed, and you will be required to submit a new application.

If you have a partner who lives with you, we require you to submit supporting documentation relating to them. We realise you may feel uncomfortable providing this information. If you require support, please make an appointment to discuss your personal circumstances with one of our trained student advisers.

We realise that some of the documents we ask for appear a little intrusive, but they are needed to make an accurate assessment of your situation and we will not be able to process your application without this information. We will treat all applications in confidence.

If you’re struggling to compile the evidence or need to submit hard copies, please email

Student Support Fund policy

See our full policy details for the Student Support Fund.

More information is available in the Student Financial Support guidance.