Our vision is to conduct world-leading mathematical research, advancing the development of mathematics itself and generating benefit for society and industry.
We provide an excellent environment for research and impact, in which researchers at all stages can thrive and develop.
We have extensive collaborations with mathematicians worldwide and actively pursue interdisciplinary research in many fields.
We’re a UK top 20 research department
according to the Times Higher Education’s ranking of the latest REF results (2021).
We pride ourselves on the lack of boundaries between subject areas, which encourages a culture of collaboration in our department. Our main areas of strength are represented in eight research groups.
Collaboration with business and industry
We engage widely with organizations outside academia, including business and industry partners, professional bodies, and national and international agencies.
We are always interested in collaboration and engagement.
Research centres, institutes and networks
We are actively involved with interdisciplinary research networks and centres across the University, including
- Biological Physical Sciences Interdisciplinary Network (BPSInet)
- Institute for Safe Autonomy
- Leverhulme Centre for Anthropocene Biodiversity
- Physics of Life Group
- Quantum Communications Hub
- York Biomedical Research Institute
- York Cross-disciplinary Centre for Systems Analysis
- York Centre for Quantum Technologies
- York Environmental Sustainability Institute
- York Historical Warfare Analysis Group
- York Interdisciplinary Centre for Cyber Security
We host several regular seminar series and other lectures and talks with guest speakers.See all our events
Push the boundaries of knowledge in our supportive and stimulating academic environment.Study with us
Early career researchers at York benefit from a dynamic research culture and excellent facilities.Join us as a fellow