Using Google Mail with other mail software
We strongly recommend that you use the web interface to access Google Mail, as it offers greater functionality and benefits.
It is possible to configure other mail clients to use Google Mail, but this comes at the cost of some functionality and reliability.
If you wish to use Outlook, we recommend that you use a tool called Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook . These instructions take you through setting this up.
The Google Workspace Sync tool does not provide perfect compatibility with all features in Google Mail and Outlook: some features may work unreliably or not at all. In some cases, synchronisation can break, and you may need to create a new profile from scratch. For more information on compatibility, please see:
If you are currently accessing additional email accounts via Outlook, these will no longer appear after you have installed and set up the sync tool. They can be added again, but you may encounter problems using other accounts alongside Google Workspace Sync.
Adding your account
- If you are using an IT Services managed PC, you can install the sync tool from Software Center. If you are using an unmanaged or personally owned PC, the sync tool can be downloaded directly from Google.
- Once installed, go to the Windows Start menu, choose the Google Workspace Sync folder and then select Set up a Google Workspace Sync user.
- Enter your full University email address. Ensure the Remember me box is ticked and click Continue.
- Your web browser will open up a new window (you may prompted to enter your University email address and password) with a list of permissions for which Google Workspace Sync needs approval. Click Allow. You can then return to the Google Workspace Sync setup window.
- In the following screen ensure the Import data from an existing profile box is not ticked and select Create profile.
- Select Start Microsoft Outlook.
- If a Choose Profile window appears, select your University email account from the dropdown list and click OK.
- Outlook is now syncing with your University of York Google Mail account, this process can take some time, but you can continue to send and receive email while this is taking place.
- At this stage you will also need to reset your signature: Create and add a signature to messages (microsoft.com).
Adding delegated account
Once you have added your account to Outlook, you can also add any email accounts that you have been granted delegated access to.
- Go to the Windows Start menu, choose the Google Workspace Sync folder and select Add account for delegation.
- In the Delegate Email box, enter the email address of the account you've been given access to. Then click OK.
- For non-personal accounts, enter the email address in the format firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other mail apps