Housed in a complex at the centre of the campus, the department's main building contains a concourse area which combines open-planned study space with flexible teaching rooms and large scale lecture theatres. Acessible by lift or stairs, the upper floors house our other specialist facilities, with the entire fourth floor devoted to extensive teaching and project laboratory space.
The research laboratories and staff offices are also close at hand. Undergraduates often become involved with research activities via their individual final-year project, with some projects taking place in research laboratories.
The University campus also provides a wealth of study facilities including the University Library and computing classrooms, many in the Colleges where you may be living.
You can access detailed descriptions of our departmental facilities, including our teaching laboratories, recording studios, VR suite, computing laboratory and clean room, as well as the University’s Nanotechnology Research Centre below;
- Teaching Laboratories - for practical and project work
- Technical Support - providing diverse design and construction facilities for the department and industry, including PCB design and manufacture, a surface-mount assembly line, 3D design and fabrication equipment and FPGA programming and development tools
- Clean Room - facilities for fabrication and measurement of nano-scale devices
- Computing Labs - the Department's own PC labs with specialised hardware and software to support our teaching
- Recording Studios - facilities for recording and producing acoustic and electronic music
- VR Suite - supporting research and teaching in media systems, the media studio contains industry-standard equipment for production and post-production.
- Robot Lab - A purpose built arena and workshop for robotics teaching and research
- Nanotechnology Research Centre - provides access to facilities and services for materials research on the nanoscale.