Accessibility statement

Academic progress - students on taught programmes

The following pages relate to students on taught programmes and pre-registration student nurses, excluding students of the Hull York Medical School.

Changes to the University modular framework resulted in changes to aspects of the regulations for all students on programmes commencing in 2010 onwards, on some programmes they were applied to all years from 2010. As a consequence of these regulation changes, for some students who commenced their programmes prior to 2010 there may be some variation to the information on these webpages. If you are in any doubt please refer to your programme handbook or discuss your position with your academic supervisor.   

Recommendations relating to the academic progress of individual students from the Departmental Board of Studies are dealt with centrally through the University's Special Cases Committee and the University's Standing Committee on Assessment.

Academic AppealsIf you wish to appeal against a decision made relating to assessment, progression or degree classification.

Attendance and ResidenceIf you need to be away for any period during term-time or live more than 30 miles away from the University (60 miles if studying part-time).

Credit LoadOnly applies to some students who commenced their programme before October 2010.

Leave of AbsenceIf you need to take time out lasting more than four weeks during your programme. See also Leave the University.

Exceptional circumstances affecting assessmentIf you need to submit a claim about exceptional circumstances affecting your assessment(s).

Programme termination, extensions and transfersIf your place on your programme is being terminated, you are seeking an extension or transfer to a different programme.

Resits, repeats and readmissionIf you need to resit an examination or assessment, repeat a period of study or are seeking readmission to your programme.

Two female students in a tutorial  (Image: John Houlihan)

Who to contact

For academic progress issues you should talk to your supervisor.

Alternatively, please contact:

  • Student Hub
    Student Hub, Market Square
  • Tel: 01904 324140
  • Office Hours: Term time: 9am - 5pm, Monday to Thursday, 10am - 5pm Friday
    Office hours: Vacation: 10am - 4pm, Monday to Friday