Refunds for disability related costs
If you have a disability, you may be entitled to a refund of upfront costs.
What costs can I reclaim?
- The Specific Learning Disability (SpLD) Diagnostic Test refund assists students who are eligible to reclaim the upfront cost of their diagnostic test for learning difficulties. If you meet the eligibility criteria below, we can award you the full cost of a test, up to a maximum of £475.
- Students who require specialist IT equipment through Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) must pay the first £200 upfront. If you meet the eligibility criteria, we can refund the upfront costs.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible to apply for a refund, you must be:
- a UK student,
- receiving means-tested student support and have an assessed residual household income of £42,875 or less, and
- have less than £3,000 in savings,
- an undergraduate student (if you are a postgraduate student, you can apply to Student Support Fund).
If you do not meet the criteria, or also wish to apply for more general financial support, you can apply to the Student Support Fund. You will need to supply more evidence and have a full financial assessment.
How to apply
- Complete the online application form.
- We will carry out the initial assessment of your application usually within four working weeks of receiving the application and all required evidence.
- We'll let you know the result of your application and keep you informed via your university email address.
You'll need to submit supporting evidence with your application. We need:
- The latest full month’s Bank/Building Society Statements for every account in your name, including savings, overseas, empty/unused accounts.
- A copy of your invoice showing the cost and date of the test, or, a copy of your receipt to confirm that you have paid the £200 DSA costs.
- Your student finance award letter.
Where can I go for help with my evidence/application?
If you need help compiling your evidence or have any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting your student number as reference.
If you require support with your form, please make an appointment with one of our student advisers via the self-referral form online. Our advisers will be able to advise on additional forms of support available to you.
How long do assessments take?
It can take up to four weeks for an assessment to be completed from when we received your application and all supporting evidence.
Where can I find additional support?
We offer other forms of assistance funding to support students with financial difficulties and the Disability Services team offer additional support and advice.