Our research is concerned with the representation, interpretation and evaluation of culture.
We consider how specific cultural forms and values are made and lived in practice. Our research spans a range of topics from popular culture and everyday life to cultural institutions and industries.
We challenge and assess ongoing social and cultural changes; critically analysing transformations of media and citizenship, social inequalities and trends. Our work evaluates cultural participation, engagement and disengagement on an international scale.
- Dr Owen Abbott Sociology of morality, moral practice, personal life, and forgiveness.
Trust and technology; mediated intimacy; the sexual politics of digital cultures.
- Professor David Beer Popular culture, new media cultures, cultural theory, digital methods.
- Dr Peter Gardner Contentious politics (protest, revolt, revolution, civil war), postconflict societies, ethnic and racial studies, symbolic objects, environmental movements.
- Dr Steph Lawler Social equalities and social identities (particularly class, gender and generation), theoretical work of Bourdieu and Goffman.
- Dr Daryl Martin Architectural theory, cultural geography, social and cultural theory, urban sociology.
- Dr Haley Elizabeth McAvay Citizenship, national identity, social/political attitudes.
Midlife to later-life transitions, digital ageing, knowledge & power, social imaginaries of ageing, lifecourse inequalities.
- Dr Gareth Millington Urban sociology, race and racism and urban culture.
African and Francophone Studies, Christianity, literature and cultures.
Culture, Music consumption, Digital technologies, Materiality, Popular culture heritage
- Dr Tom O'Brien Environmental sociology, democratisation, social movements and political leadership.
- Dr Ruth Penfold-Mounce Celebrity, media, death, crime.
- Dr Katy Sian De/Postcolonialism, Race and Ethnicity, Culture, Identity and Diaspora.
- Dr Anna Strhan Sociology of religion, non-religion, morality ethics and values, evangelicalism, religion and parenting.
- Dr Frances Thirlway Popular culture, cultural value, cultural participation, working-class street parade traditions, marching bands and majorettes in UK and Northern Europe.
- Victor Avila Torres Digital media, culture, music consumption.
- Oznur Yardimci Cities, gentrification, authoritarian urbanisation, and substantive citizenship.
Gaming, rituals interaction with popular culture, religion, death and the undead.
Urban sustainability and Local Wealth Retention.
Recent research projects of Graham's include:
Online communities, death and dying, virtual spaces, digital archiving.
- Kasturi Hazarika
Public Art Projects: For Addressing Critical Concerns of Urban Space and Ecology.
Community and belonging, feminist urban research, marginalisation.
Social media politics, democracy, populism culture.
Class and immigration studies, social theory.
See Lyndsey's paper of digital technology and virtual spaces below:
Cultural Criminology, trangression studies, Queer Carnivalesque' / 'Folk' culture, Groteskology.
Political Sociology, social movements, climate crisis, future studies.
Sociology of Religion, intersectional identities.
Music sociology, Music and gender, Music and nostalgia, Music and mortality, Reception theory.
Urban sociology, spaces of female street-based sex work.
Migration and Diaspora, Islamophobia and War on Terror, Politics of Transnationalism, Multiculturalism.
The gendered presentation of death and dying in contemporary comic books.
Scientific knowledge production, Knowledge dissemination, Transformation of academic work.
School architecture, Educational spaces, Educational pedagogy.
Emotional culture, Emotion work, Emotional methodologies, Latin American studies.
Subcultural and music sociology study.
Urban Sociology, Self-build, Tiny Houses.
- Jing Wu
Sociology of translation, Circulation of culture, Language and power relations, Cultural world-system.
Visual Culture, Food, Photography on Social Media, Digital Culture, Popular Culture, Consumer Culture.
Our diverse and extensive research is documented in our research archive.
Push the boundaries of knowledge in our supportive and stimulating environment.Study with us
Find a full list of our research staff alongside their interests and contact details.Find and Expert