Our research is concerned with the representation, interpretation and evaluation of culture.
We consider how specific cultural forms and values are made and lived in practice. Our research spans a range of topics from popular culture and everyday life to cultural institutions and industries.
We challenge and assess ongoing social and cultural changes; critically analysing transformations of media and citizenship, social inequalities and trends. Our work evaluates cultural participation, engagement and disengagement on an international scale.
- Professor David Beer Popular culture, new media cultures, cultural theory, digital methods.
- Dr Laurie Hanquinet Culture, stratification, cities, cosmopolitanism.
- Dr Steph Lawler Social equalities and social identities (particularly class, gender and generation), theoretical work of Bourdieu and Goffman.
- Dr Xiaodong Lin Gender and migration, men and masculinities, gender and class, cultural values and China.
- Professor Sharon Macdonald Social memory, museums and heritage, identity and ethnicity, anthropological theory and ethnography.
- Dr Daryl Martin Architectural theory, cultural geography, social and cultural theory, urban sociology.
- Dr Gareth Millington
Urban sociology, race and racism and urban culture.
- Dr Ruth Penfold-Mounce Celebrity, media, death, crime.
- Dr Tom O'Brien Environmental sociology, democratisation, social movements and political leadership.
- Dr Katy Sian De/Postcolonialism, Race and Ethnicity, Culture, Identity and Diaspora.
- Dr Anna Strhan Sociology of religion, non-religion, morality ethics and values, evangelicalism, religion and parenting.
- Dr Frances Thirlway
Popular culture, cultural value, cultural participation, working-class street parade traditions, marching bands and majorettes in UK and Northern Europe.
Push the boundaries of knowledge in our supportive and stimulating environment.Study with us
Find a full list of our research staff alongside their interests and contact details.Find and Expert