We are internationally renowned for our research in language and communication.
We specialise in basic and applied conversation analysis, discourse analysis and the study of gesture in interaction.
Our longstanding national and international collaborations are strengthened through our work at the Centre for Advanced Studies in Language and Communication.
Our research has considered language and interaction within:
- medical practice
- the Department for Work and Pensions
- maternity services
- laboratory-based psychological experiments
- the social organisation of musical masterclasses
- identity management in young women's conversation
- online social media platforms
- paranormal experience
- counselling settings.
- Dr Alicia Fuentes-Calle Language, communication and poetics, language and communication within spiritual traditions/anomalous experiences.
- Dr Clare Jackson Conversation analysis, gender, sexuality, healthcare.
- Dr Victoria Land Conversation Analysis, healthcare interactions, labour and childbirth.
- Dr Darren Reed Human-computer interaction, health and intelligent communication systems, social informatics, performativity and identity.
- Dr Merran Toerien Institutional interaction, healthcare, conversation analysis.
- Professor Robin Wooffitt Language and interaction, anomalous experiences, communication and consciousness.
Push the boundaries of knowledge in our supportive and stimulating environment.Study with us
Find a full list of our research staff alongside their interests and contact details.Find and Expert