We strongly encourage applications from candidates interested in pursuing PhD study in statistics or probability. Below are the areas of expertise that our group members offer projects in. Further details can be found on our personal webpages. We also warmly welcome suggestions for other projects that you might be interested in that are connected to our research interests.
Information about the application process and funding opportunities can be found on the postgraduate study page.
Staff supervising projects in statisics and probability are:
- Dr Stephen Connor Perfect simulation, coupling of stochastic processes, mixing times of random walks on rings.
- Dr Marina Knight Analysis and forecasting of non-stationary time series with applications in energy and biology, multi-scale methods, nonparametric statistics.
- Dr Degui Li Nonlinear time series econometrics, dynamic panel data and functional data analysis, high-dimensional statistics.
- Dr Ben Powell Time series and multivariate analysis with an emphasis on weighing the costs of data collection against the rewards of prediction accuracy. The relevant literature spans topics from Bayesian decision analysis to reinforcement learning. The work envisaged has particular application to official statistics, but is also relevant to statistics for medicine and cyber-security.
- Professor Wenyang Zhang High dimensional/big data analysis, nonparametric statistics, nonlinear time series, survival analysis, functional data analysis, spatial data analysis, multi-level modelling, structural equation models.