Pre-arrival checklist

Before you begin your journey to York, you should make sure that you have everything in order so as to make your journey as smooth and easy as possible. If you would like a printable version of this list without annotations, one can be downloaded by clicking here: Prearrival checklist (PDF  , 190kb)

Have you...

Confirmed any visa requirements that you may have?

See our Immigration Advice Service for more information

Obtained a European Health Insurance Card? (For European Economic Area (EEA) nationals.)

If you are an EEA national you must obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in your country of residence before travelling to the UK. A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) enables you to qualify for NHS (National Health Service) care on the same basis as a UK national.

Booked accommodation and made any necessary advanced payments?

For help with accommodation, see our Accommodation section. For help with payments (tuition fees, accommodation), see our Payments section.

Checked whether your country imposes any restrictions on taking money out of it?

You will need to check with your local border control or tax organisation

Ensured that you have sufficient cash or travelers cheques to live for a week or more while you open a UK bank account?

More information on monetary matters can be found on our page about Money and Banking and in the guidance booklet on Essential Financial Information.

Checked what you may need to present at Border Control and any restrictions on goods which can be brought into the UK?

The Border Force has produced a helpful list of Tips for students arriving at UK borders (MS Word  , 49kb) this Autumn to commence their studies in the UK. The tips are designed to ensure students are not unduly delayed as they enter the UK by being more prepared for what they may need to present at Border Control.

Booked a seat on a university-provided coach or arranged alternative travel arrangements from a UK airport to York?

More information, as well as how to book a place on one of the university’s coaches, can be found on our page about getting to York.

Ensured you know the details of the University's orientation program for International students?

All international students are expected to attend the University's Orientation to University life and study at the start of term.

Ensured that your hand luggage contains your passport, acceptance letter, documents such as qualification certificates, accommodation confirmation email and money?

Having these to hand will help make your transition through the UK border as quick and easy as possible.

Arranged how you plan to communicate upon arrival in the UK?

Most students choose to do this through their mobile phones, more information is available on our Communicating at York page.

Ensured you know who to contact in case of an emergency?

Depending on the situation, you may need to contact the university, the border authority either in the UK or in your home country, or any other organisation along the way.

Arranged to bring any medication required as well as a doctor’s letter of explanation?

It is important to keep these close to you. You may face problems without confirmation of medicinal intent however.

Obtained any relevant medical records, including vaccination certificates?

If you require medical treatment in the UK, these will help to get you the best care possible.

Arranged travel insurance for your property?

In case of theft or destruction of your property. Further information can be found on our insurance page.

Arranged medical insurance if it applies to you?

Students from outside of the EEA and those on a course less than six months long will need to arrange private medical insurance and will not be covered by the British health service. For more information, see our page on health care.

Ensured you know your rights and responsibilities?

Some laws and customs in the UK may differ to your home country.

Budgeted for any family members accompanying you?

If you have any dependants, it is important that you ensure you have enough cash to support both them and yourself, as well as arranging for their circumstances when you arrive in the UK. For more information see our page on dependants.

Made enquiries for school and nursery places if bringing children?

The university provides a nursery with limited spaces for children under the age of five, and there are many schools in the York area. York City Council also maintains a school information page.


It can sometimes feel overwhelming adjusting to a completely new country, but we are able to provide help and guidance through both the booklet and this website.

Who to contact

  • International Student Support
    Student Hub, Market Square
    Tel: +44 (0)1904 324140
  • Office hours
    Term time: 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday
    Out of term time: 10am - 4pm, Monday to Friday 
  • To make an appointment: Either ring the number above or call in to the Student Hub. Please note that appointments cannot be made by email.

Who to contact

  • Immigration Advice Service
    Student Hub, Market Square
  • Tel: +44 (0)1904 324140
  • Office hours
    -Term time: 9am - 5pm, Outside term time: 10am-4pm
    Monday to Friday
  • To make an appointment: Either ring the number above, call in to the Student Hub or email