Why Study Environment and Geography at York?
Here are just some of the many reasons why you should choose York to study an Environment and Geography degree:
- We're a top 15 UK research department and our research is ranked 2nd for impact in Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences, in the Times Higher Education REF 2021 ranking.
- We placed 3rd for ‘Learning resources’ among the Russell Group universities included for human geography in the 2023 National Student Survey (NSS).
- There are plenty of opportunities for field trips and study overseas, including our field trips to mainland Europe.
- Our staff are very active in topical research areas and sit on international and national committees, demonstrating the recognition of our work at the highest level.
- We have strong links to global policy makers such as the United Nations Environment Programme and the World Health Organisation.
- We have a track record of providing a springboard to a wide range of careers and postgraduate research.
- As well as our own range of degrees, we can offer modules from other University departments, giving you an even greater amount of flexibility and choice.
- We have a friendly and inclusive community, and our undergraduate students are actively encouraged to participate in ongoing research projects within the Department
- We have strong links with other organisations such as the Food and Environment Research Agency and the Stockholm Environment Institute which means we are able to offer a rich learning environment for our undergraduate students.
- Our Environmental Science degrees are accredited by Institution of Environmental Sciences as well as CHES (The Committee for Heads of Environmental Sciences)