Cars and parking

Booking visitor parking

To organise parking for a visitor you will need to book it using the virtual parking permits page.

If you don't have a virtual parking account read full instructions about how to set one up and book visitor parking here: Virtual parking permits account (MS Word  , 38kb).

Staff parking permits

If you’re only parking a few days a week or parking in certain areas of campus, you may be able to benefit from a reduced-price permit. We also offer a significant price reduction for staff who car share. 

Standard permit

0.6% of salary (capped at £400 per annum) or free for motorcycle/mopeds.

Can be used at any time.

Part-week permit

0.6% of annual full-time equivalent salary, pro-rated for number of days selected each week.

Car share permit

£30 one-off payment per transport year.

At least two people must be in the car at the time of parking. Checks will be made to ensure compliance. 

West periphery permit

£30 one off payment per transport year.

Parking at Fairfax House, Eden’s Court and Halifax College only. Non-refundable.

King's Manor out of hours permit

Out of hours during the week (before 8.00am and after 6.00pm) and anytime during the weekend. King’s Manor Car Park has the capacity to park 50 vehicles and the car park is conveniently located a short walk to the centre of town.

£100 one off payment for the transport year or £50 for six months.


Flexible use hanger permits

First 10 permits: £10
Additional multiples of 10: £15

Each permit is for one day parking only. You can buy up to 70 per transport year. 

Apply for an initial 10 online, then additional permits can be purchased in multiples of 10 in the Information Centre.

Please note: parking using a flexible use hanger permit is not permitted in Heslington Hall car park. 

If your circumstances change during the transport year you will be permitted to apply for a standard parking permit, however you will be required to return all unused permits. Any which have been used will need to be repaid at the value of £4.50/ £5 each (daily parking charge of £6.00 minus the £1.50/£1 already paid). Only unmarked permits can be returned. Any that have been written on or scratched will be treated as used and their value will need to be repaid.


Disability permits

We provide ‘drivers with disabilities only’ parking bays within each main car park and at locations close to certain key buildings. These spaces are free to use if you have a vehicle displaying a Blue or Orange Badge.

If you don’t have a Blue or University Orange Badge but need access to these spaces, you can apply for a free University Disability Permit using the online system.

Hire cars

If you have a hire car whilst your usual car is in the garage, contact the Parking Permits Help Desk with your permit number and hire car details (registration number, make and colour) to receive a free temporary permit.

Car park locations‌

Icon made by Freepik from

Visitors and occasional drivers can use our pay-and-display car parks. Parking costs £1 per hour up to four hours or £6 for the day. Parking is free between 6.00pm and 8.00am, weekends and bank holidays.

If you only need to park somewhere for a short time there are several delivery and short stay bays across campus where you can park free of charge for up to an hour (return prohibited within one hour) without displaying a pay and display ticket or parking permit. See the locations of these bays: FOC short stay motorcycle and disabled bays locations (PDF  , 276kb)

Pay by coin or via your mobile using RingGo

Terms and conditions

Parking charge notices

What to do if you have been issued with a parking charge notice.

Electric car charging points

Charge your electric car at two charging bays outside York Sport Village, Campus East.

You can visit the City of York website for up to date information about where you can find electric car charging points across the city.


Site compounds

A site compound which uses any of the University car parking facilities needs to be agreed by the Sustainable Travel and Transport Manager or Business Manager.

  • Complete a Contractors Compound application form -  available from the Information Centre.

Contractor parking

Unless specifically agreed with the Transport Team, contractors should NOT:

  • park on grassed areas
  • park longer than the one hour which is permitted (or time stated on notice) in delivery and service bays 

Contractor vehicles are permitted to use Short Stay parking bays at no charge. Parking in these areas is restricted to between 15 minutes and one hour and users are prohibited to return within two hours to any Short Stay parking bay.

Contractor vehicles can park in University visitors or staff car parks upon purchase of a Contractors Parking Permit, at a cost of £5 per day, £40 for 4 weeks or £400 a year.

Day permits can be purchased from the Estates Helpdesk or Information Centre.

Monthly or yearly permits can be purchased from the Information Centre. Please bring a completed contractor parking application form (MS Word  , 346kb)

Apply for or amend your permit

Apply for, amend, or cancel a permit:


Parking Permits Help Desk
Information Centre
01904 322057

Off-campus parking

Guarantee a parking space near campus or in the city centre (in locations such as hotels, private car parks or private driveways) by using Just Park.


Enterprise Car Club


Only need a car occasionally? We have an Enterprise Car Club bay in the Information Centre car park, with other locations available within walking distance of campus.

Find a car share

As well as saving petrol costs and reducing your environmental impact, car sharing allows you to take advantage of our reduced-price Car Share parking permit and access priority parking available at Vanbrugh College.




VIP parking

Departmental administrators can reserve one of the following parking bays for VIP visitors (shown in blue on the below maps):

The VIP bays are available on a first-come-first-served basis and can be reserved by submitting the request form, giving two working days notice.

The cars parked in these bays need to display a pay and display ticket or departmental visitor hanger permit. Alternatively, you can book a virtual permit.




British Parking AssociationHigher and Further Education Parking CharterAccredited IPC operatorIndependent Appeals Service