Click on the tabs below for information about Origin.
About the software
Origin is a scientific data analysis and graphing software.
It is installed on all IT Services classroom PCs and is available from the software centre on managed staff machines in the following departments.
- Computer Science
- Health Sciences
- Hull York Medical School
The latest version of Origin is available for unsupported machines.
See the Obtaining the software tab for details.
Staff and students
Origin is installed on all IT Services classroom PCs.
Unsupported machines and home use
This is a temporary offer during the Covid-19 crisis and is available subject to withdrawal by OriginLab.
You must be a full time graduate or undergraduate student with a valid university email address.
Faculty/Staff/Post-docs are NOT eligible and should use a regular academic license.
The license must be used on a student-owned computer, not a University-owned computer.
In this version an Origin Project is restricted to a maximum of 12 Windows.
Mac users should still be able to access OriginPro using virtualization software e.g. BootCamp see Run Origin on a Mac
for more information.
Download and installation (University of York Faculty of Science staff and students only)
- When you visit the Origin download site for the first time, you will need to create an account with your University of York email
- Once you've downloaded the installer, run it. Enter your name, University of York as the Company Name and the Origin serial number
- Once the installation completes, you will need to launch Origin as Administrator (this is ticked as the option during the installation process) to complete the activation
- When you install Origin you will presented with a license activation window requesting a product key upon starting the application. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request the product key then click "Activate" to license the application.
- If you have any queries, please email email@example.com
License retrieval instructions