Specialise in a field you're passionate about. Gain valuable hands-on experience and build your knowledge through our range of option modules and fieldwork opportunities.
Why study archaeology at York?
At York, we offer a broad range of programmes across many fields of archaeology and heritage. You'll be taught by active researchers at the forefront of archaeological and heritage studies.
You'll have access to our unique and varied facilities, offering innovative ways to understand and interpret the past. Tell diverse stories, and engage with creative solutions in sustainable archaeology, conservation and heritage. Study with us and join a vibrant academic community with a distinguished reputation.
- Bioarchaeology (MSc)
- Conservation of Historic Buildings (MA)
- Cultural Heritage Management (MA)
- Digital Archaeology (MSc)
- Digital Heritage (MSc)
- Early Prehistory and Human Origins (MA)
- Early Prehistory and Human Origins (MSc)
- Field Archaeology (MA)
- Funerary Archaeology (MA)
- Funerary Archaeology (MSc)
- Historic Buildings (MA)
- Historical Archaeology (MA)
- International Conservation Studies (MA)
- Iron Age and Celtic Archaeology (MA)
- Material Culture and Experimental Archaeology (MA)
- Material Culture and Experimental Archaeology (MSc)
- Medieval Archaeology (MA)
- Mesolithic Archaeology (MA)
- Museums Studies (MA)
- Roman Archaeology (MA)
- Sustainable Built Heritage (MA)
- Zooarchaeology (MSc)
for our research according to the Times Higher Education’s ranking of the latest REF results (2021).
5th in the UK
and 20th in the world for Archaeology, according to the QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2023.
Discover bespoke teaching spaces, laboratory facilities, our outdoor experimental centre and other University resources, including the Borthwick Institute for Archives and the Archaeology Data Service.
Scholarships and funding
Explore funding for postgraduates in the Department of Archaeology.
- You'll develop critical thinking, communication and analysis skills, problem-solving and creativity and innovation, all of which are valued by employers.
- You'll have access to our Careers and Placements team who can help you devise a tailored career plan. They can also alert you to various internship opportunities.
Our graduates go on to work in all sorts of careers such as field archaeology, museums, heritage organisations such as English Heritage and the National Trust, teaching, media, civil service and academia. Listen to their experiences (youtube.com).
- Hear stories from York alumni (alumnivoices.co.uk)
- Discover the career choices of alumni from our department - browse graduate profiles