Equal Access Scholarships 2018/19
We're pleased to offer two Equal Access Scholarships for undergraduate students who are seeking refuge in the UK.
The scholarship provides:
- a full fee waiver (you will not need to pay any tuition fees)
- a maintenance award of up to £10,660 to help with living costs
Closed for applications
To be considered for the scholarship you must:
- have discretionary or limited leave to remain in the UK or
- be a dependent or partner of someone with discretionary or
- limited leave to remain or
- you or your parent/guardian or partner have submitted an asylum or humanitarian protection application and not yet received a decision from the Home Office on that application*
- have applied for asylum on arrival in the UK, and before you have applied for a place at university
- be unable to access mainstream UK student funding due to your immigration status, ie you are not eligible for Student Finance for the 2018/19 academic year
- not have completed an undergraduate degree
- hold a conditional or unconditional offer for an undergraduate course at York of up to four years duration
- have made York your first choice (firm choice) through UCAS.
*If you have already been granted Refugee Status or Humanitarian Protection Status, you can apply for financial support from Student Finance England (gov.uk).
Terms and conditions
- You must inform Student Financial Support immediately if you receive any notification of a change to your Asylum Status.
- If you receive a notification of a change in your Asylum Status which means that you become eligible for student financial support from the UK government, you must make an application for support for the next academic year. For example, if you start a course with Asylum Status in September and are then granted Refugee Status in November, you must apply for UK government student financial support for all future academic years of the course.
- If you receive notification that you are liable to be detained, your scholarship will be suspended for the duration of your detention. We will support you to help you resume your studies if your status enables you to continue.
- Your scholarship will be renewed for each year of your course providing you satisfactorily progress through to the next year of study and you maintain your registration as a full-time student.
- If at any point during the application process or after you start your studies, we are informed by the Home Office that you should not be studying at University, you will no longer be eligible for the award. We will deem you withdrawn and you will be expected to leave your studies immediately.