Equal Access Scholarships 2019/20
We're pleased to offer two Equal Access Scholarships for students who are seeking refuge in the UK and seeking to pursue an undergraduate degree programme.
The scholarship provides:
- a full fee waiver (you will not need to pay any tuition fees)
- a maintenance award of up to £10,660 to help with living costs
To be considered for the scholarship you must:
- have discretionary or limited leave to remain in the UK or
- be a dependent or partner of someone with discretionary or
- limited leave to remain or
- you or your parent/guardian or partner have submitted an asylum or humanitarian protection application and not yet received a decision from the Home Office on that application*
- have applied for asylum on arrival in the UK, and before you have applied for a place at university
- be unable to access mainstream UK student funding due to your immigration status, ie you are not eligible for Student Finance for the 2019/20 academic year
- not have completed an undergraduate degree
- hold a conditional or unconditional offer for an undergraduate course at York of up to four years duration
- have made York your first choice (firm choice) through UCAS.
*If you have already been granted Refugee Status or Humanitarian Protection Status, you can apply for financial support from Student Finance England (gov.uk).
Application and selection process
- You must apply online for this scholarship using our scholarship application form
- You must submit your application form before the deadline of 30 April 2019 11.59pm (GMT+1)
- As part of the application, you will need to provide:
- a personal statement of no more than 500 words explaining why you would like to be considered for the scholarship
- evidence of the current status of your application for asylum or humanitarian protection
- This is a competitive process and only two applicants will be successful
- A panel of senior staff from the University will select the successful scholarship awardees.
- We aim to inform all applicants of the outcome of their scholarship application by late May.
We recommend that you prepare this statement before you start your application.
You will need to tell us about your personal and family circumstances and what barriers you have overcome in order to continue with your education, with specific reference to your current status in the UK.
- You do not need to give details of the events that led to you seeking asylum unless you wish to do so.
- Include information on when you arrived in the UK, your country of origin and the current status of your application for asylum.
- Explain how this scholarship will help you achieve your ambitions for the future.
Terms and conditions
- You must inform the Student Financial Support Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately if you receive any notification of a change to your Asylum Status.
- If you receive a notification of a change in your Asylum Status which means that you become eligible for student financial support from the UK government, you must make an application for support for the next academic year. For example, if you start a course with Asylum Status in September and are then granted Refugee Status in November, you must apply for UK government student financial support for all future academic years of the course.
- If you receive notification that you are liable to be detained, your scholarship will be suspended for the duration of your detention. We will support you to help you resume your studies if your status enables you to continue.
- Your scholarship will be renewed for each year of your course providing you satisfactorily progress through to the next year of study and you maintain your registration as a full-time student.
- If at any point during the application process or after you start your studies, we are informed by the Home Office that you should not be studying at University, you will no longer be eligible for the award. We will deem you withdrawn and you will be expected to leave your studies immediately.
- Applicants to the Hull-York Medical School are not eligible for the Equal Access Scholarships.