Accessibility statement

Introduction to Screen Production Methods (BCI) - TFT00030C

« Back to module search

  • Department: Theatre, Film, Television and Interactive Media
  • Module co-ordinator: Mr. Paul Ryan
  • Credit value: 20 credits
  • Credit level: C
  • Academic year of delivery: 2022-23

Module summary

This module will introduce students to - and provide initial skills in - the key production techniques and technologies that drive the screen side of the creative industries. Students will learn to shoot and record sound on location in single camera film-making; to work inside a team in the multi-camera TV studio; and to edit, mix and produce content for delivery to audiences. This module will equip students with the skills and knowledge to understand how, in essential terms, cinema, TV and interactive content is made so they can apply that understanding to their own creative business strategies and production objectives ... and of course make their own content and realise their own ideas.

Module will run

Occurrence Teaching period
A Spring Term 2022-23 to Summer Term 2022-23

Module aims

This module aims to:

  • Introduce you to the key techniques and technologies that drive screen production: single-camera film-making and the multi-camera studio, video and audio.
  • Introduce you to the key creative and technical workflows that take ideas from conception, through production, and into delivery.
  • Explore the relationship between technical aspects of production, and creative editorial issues in fiction and factual content-making.
  • Introduce to you the practical importance of team-working - in a variety of production environments - in the making and delivery of creative content.

Module learning outcomes

By the end of this module students will be:

  • Familiar with and able to apply some of the key screen technologies - cameras, microphones, multi-camera, etc. - to the process of creating content
  • Able to plan initial production workflows from both the technical and editorial perspectives
  • Able to manage content delivery - through the record, editing and mixing processes - to near-professional standards.
  • Able to relate technical aspects of production to editorial and creative objectives.
  • Able to conceive and deliver a complete programme as part of an effective working group.
  • Familiar with the value of team-working to the business of creating content across the creative industries, and able to contribute to team-working in an effective way.

Module content

This module will share many of its sessions with students on the Film and Television Production degree and you will be encouraged to share your learning and experiences with your colleagues on the other degree. The mode of assessment however will be specific to the BA in Business of the Creative Industries.


Task Length % of module mark
Individual reflective Report
N/A 60
Group Production Project
N/A 40

Special assessment rules


Additional assessment information

Each student's group production mark will combine a mark for the overall project and a mark for the individual's contribution to the whole: these will be split on a ratio of 70 (group) to 30 (individual) and the overall mark will register as 40% of the module. The remaining 60% of the module will be entirely covered by the individual student's personal reflective report.


Task Length % of module mark
Individual reflective Report
N/A 60
Group Production Project
N/A 40

Module feedback

Students will receive feedback on summative work within four weeks as per university guidelines. Students will receive incremental feedback during and after each workshop session.

Indicative reading

  • Katz, S Film Directing Shot by Shot Michael Wiese Productions, 1991,
  • Millerson, G Lighting for TV and Film, Third Edition Focal Press, 1999,
  • Brown, B Cinematography: Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers, Focal Press, 2002,
  • Bartlett, B. Practical Recording Techniques, Fifth Edition, The Step- by- Step Approach to Professional Audio Recording, Focal Press 2008, ISBN: 9780240811444
  • Singleton-Turner, Roger (2011), Cu e& Cut, Manchester University Press

The information on this page is indicative of the module that is currently on offer. The University is constantly exploring ways to enhance and improve its degree programmes and therefore reserves the right to make variations to the content and method of delivery of modules, and to discontinue modules, if such action is reasonably considered to be necessary by the University. Where appropriate, the University will notify and consult with affected students in advance about any changes that are required in line with the University's policy on the Approval of Modifications to Existing Taught Programmes of Study.