Promoting open lectures
There are various ways of promoting your open lecture to both the internal University community and the general public.
What we can do for you
We use a range of different channels to regularly promote open lectures taking place at the University. The main channels are outlined below.
Open Lectures leaflet: We produce a leaflet each term listing the University’s open lectures. Over 9,000 copies of this are distributed to individual subscribers; reception points on campus; departments; local libraries and local schools. If you would like your lecture to be included in this leaflet, please complete the form to the right of this page and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline for each term:
- Tuesday 28 August 2018 (Autumn term)
- Monday 26 November 2018 (Spring term)
- Monday 4 March 2019 (Summer term).
If we are informed about your event at least 10 days in advance, we shall also automatically promote your lecture in the following ways.
- University Events web pages: The Events Office maintains a web page of open lectures on the University's website. To have the details of your lecture added to this, please contact us.
- Social Media: The Events Office has two social media channels (Twitter and Facebook) for open lectures. If your lecture is on our web pages then we will promote your event on these for a minimum of 7 days prior to your event taking place.
- Weekly mailing: Every Friday we send out an email to our mailing list (over 3,000 subscribers) listing the following week's lectures. If we have included your event on our web pages then it will automatically be included in the weekly mailing.
- Staff Digest: If your event is on our web pages it will be included in the Staff Digest the week before it takes place.
- The Conversation: Most open lectures are listed by the Events Office on The Conversation's events page.
- Online events listings: We list high-profile open lectures on various local events listings online.
What you can do to help promote your open lecture
- Departmental newsletter: If your Department has a departmental newsletter, contact its editor to advertise your lecture.
- Posters: Posters advertising your lecture can be posted on noticeboards in colleges and departments and the J B Morrell library. To attract an external audience, send a copy of your poster to the York Explore Library on Museum Street for display.
- Social Media: If your Department has any social media accounts, promote your open lectures to your followers.
- Direct mailings: If there is a specific target audience for your lecture, consider mailing flyers or emailing to a selected group of people eg societies, funding bodies, business organisations etc.
- Digital screens: Digital advertising can be used for high-profile events on the digital screens across campus. Information on how to request an inclusion on the screens is available from the Internal Communications team.