Realising Opportunities is a collaboration of research-intensive universities including York. We're working together to promote fair access and social mobility for students from under-represented groups.
During 2020/21, our Access and Outreach programmes will be delivered virtually with some face-to-face events. We will be guided by government guidelines and University policy. We will work directly with programme participants and our school and college partners to keep you informed of progress.
The project supports selected students, in their post-16 studies with skills development and guidance. The programme begins in Year 12 and offers many opportunities to experience university first-hand, as well as allowing students to realise their potential to study at a research intensive university.
Realising Opportunities won the Widening Participation Initiative of the Year at the 2011 Times Higher Education Awards.
The programme involves an extensive menu of events and activities across the partnership including:
- Launch event: the programme starts with a launch at the host university, introducing students to the programme and providing an insight into what they can expect. It's also a great opportunity to explore their host university and meet staff and students.
- National Conference: staff from all participating universities attend the conference enabling students to find out more about all partners, and the opportunities available to them. Students attend information sessions and workshops, meet staff from the Central Team and partner universities as well as other students on the programme.
- Academic element
- This element of the programme consists of an academic activity day where students will learn vital higher education skills such as analysis, research, critical thinking and evaluation.
- This activity day will be followed by an online module which aims to increase students' ability to self reflect.
- The skills4uni online study skills module: this study skills module prepares students for the academic element of the programme, as well as supporting their study and transition from school/college to university.
Access to a broad range of university events
Realising Opportunities offers a unique opportunity for students to access information, support, events and activities from all the partners universities across the country. This can also include on-campus masterclasses and summer schools.
Watch our video to find out what some of our participants thought about the programme.
"It has encouraged me to apply for a research-intensive university. I would not have done so if it wasn't for this programme."
Realising Opportunities participant
To take part students must be in Year 12 at an eligible school or college which is participating in the programme. Students will also need to meet the eligibility criteria.
Find out more about how to take part (realisingopportunities.ac.uk).
You can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.