Push the boundaries of knowledge and deliver specialised research that addresses the complex problems of today’s world.
Why study engineering at York?
At York, we apply our expertise to drive innovation and meet the demands of industry and the grand challenges of society. Our research links theory, practice and creativity. We collaborate extensively with external partners, delivering research that has real-world benefits - such as robotics for healthcare, mobile communications for autonomous vehicles and realistic acoustic experiences for virtual reality.
We apply our expertise to high-impact areas, from 5G ultra-high capacity systems and underwater networks, to autonomous robots and healthcare. We have a strong track record of attracting grants from UK research councils and have active collaborations with leading national and international companies.
- Music Technology (MSc by research)
- Electronic Engineering (PhD and MPhil)
- Electronic Engineering (MSc by research)
- Music Technology (PhD and MPhil)
Our academics are working on a wide range of projects suitable for research students to join.
Internationally recognised research
We’re a UK top 30 research department according to the Times Higher Education’s ranking of the latest REF results (2021), and 97% of our research is rated as 3* or higher.
Committed to equality
We are proud to hold an Athena Swan Bronze award in recognition of the work we do to support gender equality.
We have a range of specialised laboratories and workshops, including our state-of-the-art engineering facilities.
- Our academics undertake a wide range of commercialisation and consultancy activities, which have led to spin-out companies including SkillsForge, ngenics, Simomics, ClearSky Medical Diagnostics, Asuuta. Our spin-out companies enable us to build relationships with the people who use and benefit directly from our technology.