University of York Library Regulations
1. The purpose of these regulations is to help to ensure an appropriate study, learning and research environment for members.
2. In these regulations, the University library is defined as the locations, collections, services and facilities of the University library.
3. In these regulations, members are defined as anyone visiting or using the premises, collections, services or facilities of the University library. Members are defined as being either University members of external members.
4. These regulations apply to all members of the University library.
5. University members are automatically granted library membership on registration with the University. Anyone outside the University may apply for external membership to the University library.
6. Members are responsible for their membership cards. The University reserves the right to charge for replacement cards.
7. Members may not lend or otherwise transfer their membership cards to anyone.
8. The University library will communicate with external members using the method and address specified on their membership application. For University members the University library will use the member's University email address.
9. Members are responsible for making sure that the University library has their current address and contact details.
10. The University Library may not disclose the information it holds about a member except when:
- authorised by the member concerned, in response to a legal requirement to do so
- in circumstances when the member might be in breach of these or other University regulations
- there are legitimate grounds to do so in relation to the health, safety or security of the member
11. Members are responsible for the items they borrow for the whole period, during which the items are recorded as on loan to the member.
12. Members may not further lend items they borrow to anyone.
13. Members are required to report to the University library any losses of, or damage to, items they have borrowed, as soon as possible. In the event of losses or damage the University library will follow its published Lost Items procedure.
14. Members must respond promptly to requests for recall of items.
15. Members may not remove any item from the University Library without following the loan procedure. The University library will follow its published gate alarm procedure if an unauthorised loan is detected.
16. Members must present bags, coats or other items for examination by University library staff if the security system is activated when a member leaves the University Library.
17. Members must observe the regulations of the originating library when using the University library’s interlending and document supply service.
18. Members must return all items and pay all outstanding fees and charges before their membership ceases.
19. Members may use all the resources of the University library in line with their designated membership type unless resources are designated or licensed as restricted.
20. External members may use electronic resources while they are on University library premises except where the publisher imposes access restrictions.
21. The University may restrict external member access from time to time. Such restrictions will be published one calendar month in advance of the restriction coming into force.
Study and research
22. Members are responsible for complying with legal requirements, such as copyright, and publisher regulations when copying, printing, scanning or otherwise reproducing or accessing published works.
23. The University library must provide copyright guidance for members to help in complying with legal requirements and publisher regulations.
24. Members must behave with consideration for other members and University staff.
25. Members who observe breaches of behaviour protocols by another member or by University staff may inform University library.
26. Members behaving inconsiderately or inappropriately in, or near to, University library premises may be required to leave by University staff.
27. Members must not leave items unattended at desks, workstations, study rooms or elsewhere. University library staff will remove unattended items to a safe place.
28. Members may not mark University library property in any way.
29. Members must comply with the food and drink policy for designated areas within the University library found on our in-building signage.
30. Members must not use alcohol or other drugs on University library premises.
31. Members may film, survey, hold exhibitions, events, and undertake other activities only as provided in the published promotional activities policy.
32. Complaints are handled using the University complaints procedure. We endeavour to resolve complaints informally in the first instance and members are encouraged to raise concerns or give feedback as early as possible using University library contact details.
|Owner||Library, Archives and Learning Services|
|Oversight||Student and Academic Services|
|Review cycle||Two years|
|Date of next review||August 2024|