Members of the public can get a day-pass to use the library on a reference only basis.

If you’re not currently a member of the University you may still be able to join the library, in order to use the space to study and potentially to borrow items. Every situation is different so we recommend you get in touch with us to have a conversation about your needs.

York Community Membership

We've recently introduced a new type of membership for York residents. If your post code begins YO you can apply for a York Community Membership which allows you to borrow up 10 items at one time. These last for 12 months and can be renewed; contact us to learn more. 

Other membership types

Related links

As a student, you will automatically be registered with the Library when you complete your registration through e:Vision.

You will be told where to collect your University Card when you arrive at the University. You can then use your Card to borrow items from the Library. 

There is a virtual equivalent of your card on the MyUoY app, which you may also be able to use on our turnstiles and our self-issue machines. We recommend you always have your physical card with you anyway, as you’ll need to it for some things the app can’t do, such as borrowing laptops.

Research students: continuations and extensions

PhD and MPhil students who continue to study beyond their period of normal registration may register for a further year if required to complete thesis writing up.

The University Finance Office will invoice you for the continuation fee which covers access to the Library borrowing facilities and IT:

Your Library membership will continue seamlessly but you will need to renew any books you have on loan.

For information on access to inter-library loans, please see:

Masters students: extensions

If you are a Masters student on an extension please contact the library.

All full and part-time members of staff who are employed directly by the University are automatically given full staff membership of the Library and all IT Services facilities.

Emeritus professors, honorary research fellows and visiting professors who have been approved by Senate are also entitled to full staff membership.

Your University Card is also your Library Card. You can apply for a University Card at the Information Centre.

If you are a York graduate you are welcome to get in touch with us if you’d like to join as an external member.

Membership entitles you to borrow printed material but does not give access to electronic resources (due to licensing issues beyond our control), or to your previous University email address.

Staff and students from UK higher education institutions which are members of the SCONUL Access scheme may be able to join our Library for free. Check with your home library to find out about your local arrangements for joining other libraries and to get your email confirmation which you’ll need to show us at reception.

SCONUL Access is available to staff, research students, masters students, and part-time, distance learning or placement students.

Full time undergraduates may apply for a long-term access card to use the University and King's Manor Library for reference.

Retired staff and lay members of Court and Council are given free external membership of the Library.

External membership includes borrowing rights but does not include access to electronic resources.

Retired memberships will be renewable every 12 months. Please visit the JB Morrell Library Help Desk to register.

If you are in one of the following groups you can join the Library as an Associate member.

  • Teaching staff who are contracted by departments to teach short-term on core courses
  • Researchers who are employed directly to work for departments but who are not members of staff of the University
  • Members of University subsidiary companies (YES, CBAMS and YHEC)
  • HYMS honorary lecturers
  • Honorary fellows and visiting professors and fellows not endorsed by Senate
  • Postdoctoral research fellows

You will need to ask your departmental People Database Administrator to register you on the University People Database. You can then apply for a University Card at the Information Centre.

If you find yourself in a category not covered above (for example if you’re a Friend of the York Art Gallery, or staff working for Primary Care Trusts) please get in touch with us to talk about membership.

Related links