Accessibility statement


COVID-19 update: External users with borrowing rights are welcome to request books using the Postal Loans option in our Book Takeaway service. For the time being you are unfortunately not able to access the Library buildings for study space, but we will keep this under review.

Your University or Library Card

Sample University Card

You need your University Card or Library Card to borrow items.

You are responsible for everything borrowed on your card and for any fines incurred.

Do not lend your card to anyone, or borrow items for anyone else.

If you lose your card:

A fee is charged for replacement cards

Joining the Library

Members of the public can use the University and King's Manor Library for reference only. You will need an access card to enter and leave the building. Please ask at the reception desk for a day pass or, if you wish to use the library long-term, please ask at the Help Desk.

For information about visiting the Library buildings, please see:

Click on your status below to find out if you are eligible to join the Library and borrow items

Please note, when using the Library, you must follow the Library regulations

University of York students

As a student, you will automatically be registered with the Library when you complete your registration through e:Vision.

You will be told where to collect your University Card when you arrive at the University. You can then use your Card to borrow items from the Library.

Research students: continuations and extensions

PhD and MPhil students who continue to study beyond their period of normal registration may register for a further year if required to complete thesis writing up.

The University Finance Office will invoice you for the continuation fee which covers access to the Library borrowing facilities and IT:

  • Research student continuation fees

Your Library membership will continue seamlessly but you will need to renew any books you have on loan.

For information on access to inter-library loans, please see:

Masters students: extensions

If you are a Masters student on an extension please contact the library.

University of York graduates

If you are a York graduate you can join the Library as an external member for a reduced fee.

This entitles you to borrow printed material but does not give access to electronic resources as graduates are not covered by our licences.

University of York staff

All full and part-time members of staff who are employed directly by the University are automatically given full staff membership of the Library and all IT Services facilities.

Emeritus professors, honorary research fellows and visiting professors who have been approved by Senate are also entitled to full staff membership.

Your University Card is also your Library Card. You can apply for a University Card at the Information Centre.

Retired staff and lay members of Court and Council

Retired staff and lay members of Court and Council are given free external membership of the Library.

External membership includes borrowing rights but does not include access to electronic resources.

Retired memberships will be renewable every 12 months. Please visit the JB Morrell Library Help Desk to register.

Associate staff

If you are in one of the following groups you can join the Library as an Associate member.

  • Teaching staff who are contracted by departments to teach short-term on core courses
  • Researchers who are employed directly to work for departments but who are not members of staff of the University
  • Members of University subsidiary companies (YES, CBAMS and YHEC)
  • HYMS honorary lecturers
  • Honorary fellows and visiting professors and fellows not endorsed by Senate
  • Postdoctoral research fellows

You will need to ask your departmental People Database Administrator to register you on the University People Database. You can then apply for a University Card at the Information Centre.

External members

If you fall within one of the groups below you can join as an external member on payment of a fee which will allow you to borrow from the University of York Libraries, but does not give access to electronic resources unless you are entitled to a University username and password.

Please note: External members and other visitors can access most of our electronic resources free of charge on the Library premises, as long as they are used for educational purposes. For more information, please see:

Campus companies: individual members of staff

If you are from a campus company or a company at the Innovation Centre you can pay to join as an external member.

Register at JB Morrell Library Help Desk with proof of your company membership.

Local organisations

Enquiries from local organisations wishing to join the Library should be made via LibAnswers.

Staff and students from other UK higher education institutions

Staff and students from UK higher education institutions which are members of the SCONUL Access cooperative scheme may be able to join this Library for free on production of their SCONUL Access card and home University Card.

Check with your home library to find out about your local arrangements for joining other libraries and to get a card.

SCONUL Access is available to staff, research students, masters students, and part-time, distance learning or placement students.

Full time undergraduates may apply for a long-term access card to use the University and King's Manor Library for reference.

Other visitors

This group includes:

  • Visitors who have an informal arrangement to visit a department or centre, for example if you are invited to work on an informal basis within a department or with an individual member of staff or you are a personal research assistant.
  • Casual teaching staff.
  • Staff working for Strategic Health Authorities, NHS Trusts, Primary Care Trusts or NHS Direct with proof of employment.
  • Postgraduates from universities not included in the UK SCONUL Access scheme.
  • Other bona fide researchers, including other health workers. Please apply via LibAnswers. You must demonstrate a particular need and include the reasons for needing borrowing facilities and the length of time you need borrowing facilities.

Membership fees

Membership12 months6 months
York graduates £73.20 (incl VAT)
£61.00 (excl VAT)
£37.20 (incl VAT)
£31.00 (excl VAT)
External members £103.20 (incl VAT)
£86.00 (excl VAT)
£55.20 (incl VAT)
£46.00 (excl VAT)


VAT is normally payable.

If you are a postgraduate student registered with an HE institution not covered by SCONUL Access you do not need to pay VAT:

  • You should bring a letter confirming which course you are studying.
  • Your York membership will end when your home university registration ends, if that is earlier than your 6 or 12 months membership.