Research Visitors Programme
A stimulating, dynamic environment for research
York Law School offers a stimulating and dynamic environment for visiting scholars and a welcoming team who will actively support you during your stay. As a Visiting Scholar you will become part of a close academic community and be based in our new, purpose-built school which provides exceptional facilities for learning and research.
We are particularly keen to encourage applications from international scholars and from those whose interests align with and complement the activity of our research community. Full details of staff research interests can be found on Our Staff pages.
Details of our visitors programme
Our visiting scholars normally spend up to six months at the Law School, but we are happy to consider requests for longer periods. You will be allocated office space within the Law School, and enjoy full library access and IT support.
Support for your visit
All our visitors are welcome to apply for assistance with expenses to a maximum of £5,000, subject to availability within a budget year.
Applying to be a visiting scholar at YLS
Early applications are encouraged to assist forward planning and budgeting. There are two deadlines each year when applications are considered by the research committee:
- For applicants wishing to visit between 1st July and 31st December, the deadline is 31st December of the previous year.
- For applicants wishing to visit between 1st January and 30th June, the deadline is 30th June of the previous year.
Late applications can, in some circumstances, be considered.
Previous Research Visitors
- Allan Hutchinson, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Gary Slapper, Open University
- Richard Middleton-Kaplan, Harper College, Chicago
- Willem van Boom, Erasmus School of Law, Rotterdam
- Stefano Civitarese, Universita di Chieti Pescara