Research Visitors Programme
A stimulating, dynamic environment for research
York Law School (YLS) offers a stimulating and dynamic environment for visiting scholars and a welcoming team who will actively support you during your stay. As a Visiting Scholar you will become part of a close academic community and be based in our purpose-built school which provides exceptional facilities for learning and research.
We are particularly keen to encourage applications from international scholars and from those whose interests align with and complement the activity of our research community.
Full details of staff research interests can be found on Our Staff pages.
Details of our visitors’ programme
Our visiting scholars normally spend up to six months at YLS, but we are happy to consider requests for longer periods. You will normally be allocated working space within YLS (subject to availability) and enjoy full library access and IT support.
When is the best time to visit?
It is best to try to structure your proposed visiting dates around staff availability. The academic year at York lasts from the end of September until the end of June. The University vacation period normally lasts for the whole of August and many academics will be at conferences in September. During this period, most academic staff will not be in and around the Law School.
What are the fees?
York Law School does not charge fees to visiting scholars. However, this means that our staff cannot assist with applications to the visiting scholar programme, either financially or with administrative support.
Because we do not charge fees, YLS cannot provide advice on visas. For more information on visa applications, please visit the University's website: http://www.york.ac.uk/admin/ias/
For any other queries, including finding accommodation, setting up a bank account or settling in, please visit https://www.york.ac.uk/admin/hr/new-starters/welcome-to-york/welcome-service/
YLS is unable to provide advice on any of the above.
Applying to be a visiting scholar at YLS
Applications are considered by the Director of Research and relevant academic(s) identified by the proposed visiting scholar.
For consideration as an academic visitor, please note that your application must include the following:
- A brief letter of application, indicating why it would be useful to you to spend time in York, as well as the dates you intend to visit;
- A CV which must include at least the following: full name, address, current teaching position, and list of research publications;
- A c.1000 word research proposal which links to YLS’s research strengths, or a particular member of staff; and
- A letter of recommendation from your Head of Department or other senior academic or industry participant who knows you and your work.
Please send any enquiries/application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, the Law School is not in a position to invite every applicant and applications will be reviewed according to the following criteria:
- Synergies with the department’s research interests.
- Benefit to the department in terms of research engagement, prestige and potential for collaboration; and
- Strength of application/research proposal
Previous Research Visitors
- Allan Hutchinson, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Gary Slapper, Open University
- Richard Middleton-Kaplan, Harper College, Chicago
- Willem van Boom, Erasmus School of Law, Rotterdam
- Stefano Civitarese, Universita di Chieti Pescara
Visiting Enquiries from Students
In looking to welcome academic visitors from across a range of intellectual interests to York Law School, we regret that we are not currently able to accommodate visits from research students, on account of constraints in space and resourcing.