Clinical & Translational Research
Clinical research at York is a joint venture, utilising the expertise and resources of the University of York and York Teaching Hospital NHS Trust. We aim to provide an environment that can deliver early phase trials (phase 1 and phase 2) and support basic scientific research, which will result in high impact results.
The Centre for Immunology and Infection established a close working relationship with York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust back in 2009, to support basic and translational research. Jointly, we have successfully delivered several phase 1 and 2 trials over these years. The research has mainly covered Sexual Health and Infectious Disease, but we have also delivered clinical trials in Oncology, Ophthalmology and Rheumatology and in most cases we have successfully recruited to time and target.
Following the University of York’s acquisition of a Human Tissue Authority research license, the York Tissue bank was established. This initiative aims to develop networks with the clinical care teams and help provide researchers from both the Hospital and University with access to human tissue for basic and translational research.
- A Phase IIa/IIb clinical trial to evaluate the therapeutic efficacy of ChAd63-KH vaccine in patients with persistent post kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis (PKDL)
- TRINGA: A WHO-funded physiologic study using an investigational medical device: a temperature logging vaginal ring
- LEISH1: A Phase 1 First in Human study to assess the safety and immunogenicity of a new Leishmania vaccine candidate ChAd63-KH
- NCRN464: A commercial randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, Phase I/II Trial of RNActive®-derived Cancer Vaccine (CV9104) in Asymptomatic or Minimally Symptomatic Patients with Metastatic Castrate-refractory Prostate Cancer.
- ADON: A commercial 48-week, double-blind, randomized, multi-centre, parallel-group study comparing structural changes in the retina and evolution of visual function after immediate versus delayed treatment with fingolimod in patients with acute de-myelinating optic neuritis.
- DAPIDAR: A randomised, double blind phase I study to assess the safety, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of single and 14 days dosing with two vaginal microbicide formulations containing either Darunavir, or Dapivirine plus Darunavir.
- RADIUS: Rheumatology clinical trial, sponsored by Merck
- CV-9104-004: Oncology clinical trial
- MABGEL1: Sexual Health / Infectious Disease clinical trial, sponsored by York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- MUCOVAC2: Sexual Health / Infectious Disease clinical trial, sponsored by York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- GENTICEL: Sexual health / Infectious Diseases clinical trial, sponsored by Genticel
- GSK Hand Osteoarthritis: Rheumatology clinical trial, sponsored by GSK
- IgA Renal: Renal clinical trial, sponsored by Merck
- NASH: Hepatology clinical trial