Why study Archaeology at York?
Here are just some of the many reasons why you should choose York to study an archaeology degree:
- We are ranked 10th in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019, 13th in the Guardian league table 2019, 11th in the Complete University Guide 2019 and 5th for research impact in Times Higher Education's ranking of the 2014 Research Excellence Framework analysis.
- York is the UK’s archaeological capital, with historic buildings and significant remains from the Roman, Viking and Medieval periods.
- We are part of a vibrant global humanities community, 12th in the QS World Rankings 2018
- The city of York offers a wealth of resources and professional expertise and volunteering and career opportunities, including the York Archaeological Trust, the Council for British Archaeology, English Heritage and the Archaeology Data Service.
- We are recognised as a dynamic research community and a centre of teaching excellence, and we were awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for this in 2011.
- There are plenty of chances for you to participate in field-based projects on campus, in York and in the surrounding area as part of your three years of study.
- You will become part of our friendly community, which is based at the King’s Manor, a beautiful medieval building in the centre of the city of York.
- The architectural heritage of the York region makes it one of the best possible places to develop your professional skills and research potential in the archaeology and conservation of buildings.
- Our down-to-earth and approachable teaching staff will help you get the most out of your archaeology degree and pursue your chosen career.
- You will develop a range of transferable skills which are highly valued by employers, opening the door to a wide variety of occupations both within and beyond the heritage industry.
York is a beautiful city full of history and fantastic historic architecture - the perfect place to study archaeology. It isn't too big, and yet it still retains an exciting, vibrant city feel.
Katy, BA Archaeology, 3rd year
Download a pdf brochure