Your Google Mail account
Access your mail via the web:
On the login page, enter your email address as your username.
Note: If you're logging on using the York login page (using the above link), the @york.ac.uk has been entered for you.
Before you use Google Mail for the first time, read our information about moving from your old University of York email account
The first time you log in you will need to enter the graphical characters which are displayed, and accept both the University’s and Google’s terms and conditions.
We strongly recommend using the web interface to access Google Mail, as it allows you to make full use of all the features including full integration with Google Calendar and Google Talk.
If you're more familiar with Outlook, Google provide advice on getting used to the Google Mail interface, including the Life after Outlook features comparison:
However, we also have instructions for anyone wishing to use Outlook, Thunderbird or Apple Mail:
Google's help pages
Google provide the following to help you use Mail:
- Getting started tutorial
- Click the gear icon at the top right of the screen when using the web interface.
See Using Google Mail for help on topics including:
- Switching from Outlook
- Sending and receiving mail (includes conversation view)
- Using labels (folders)
- Account settings
- Out of office reply
- Using Outlook, Thunderbird etc
See the Learning resources Google Site for help guides and videos on useful tips and tricks within Google Mail.
Includes information on:
- Inbox views
- Message filters
- Delegating access
- Sent mail messages showing as "To: me"
- Internet Explorer 8 problems: Google Apps doesn't always work well on IE8. We recommend you use IE9, Firefox or Chrome.
- Using Chrome on a supported PC: Problems attaching files
- Clicking email (mailto:) links: When you click someone's email address, Outlook may still open. To fix this, install Gmail Notifier.
- Supported PCs: go to Start | Control Panel | Run Advertised Programs
- Other PCs/Macs: install from Gmail Notifier
- Problems connecting from China: See the FAQs