Your living costs will vary significantly depending on your lifestyle.
These guides will give you a rough idea of what your expenditure could be if you live in either University accommodation or private-rented accommodation. A typical postgraduate year is 51 weeks.
The estimated annual livings expenses are between £9,672 and £12,295.
These costs are based on a single postgraduate student living in University accommodation, where you'll be living with other postgraduate students.
|Item||Weekly||Total for 51 weeks|
|Accommodation on campus (51-week let length)
||£106 - £176||
£5,406 - £8,976
|Toiletries and household items||£8||
|Laundry (£4 per wash and dry)||£4.20 per wash and dry||£214.20|
|Social and sporting activity (not including travel costs)||£25||
- Accommodation costs are rounded to the nearest pound. The yearly costs are based on the actual weekly cost rather than the rounded weekly costs shown in this breakdown.
- Our student accommodation costs include electricity, heating, water, wifi and insurance. The published prices are for 2018/19 entry.
- Some accommodation options also include a TV Licence for communal areas. If you'd like to watch live TV or BBC catch up TV in your bedroom you will need to purchase a TV Licence (£147 per year).
|Item||Weekly||Total for 52 weeks|
|Private-rented accommodation||£70 - £95||£3,640 - £4,940|
|Toiletries, household items and laundry||£13||
|Internet and landline||£5||£260|
|Sport and social costs (not including travel costs)||£25||£1,300|
£9,296 - £10,596
- Rent costs vary depending on a number of factors such as location and the number of people you're sharing with. Find out more about private-rented accommodation in York.
- Your letting agent may also charge administration fees when you apply for and start your tenancy. These charges vary by letting agent.
- If you'd like to watch live TV you will also need to purchase a TV Licence which is £147 per year.
- If you live off campus beyond walking or cycling distance you will need to allow for travel expenses. A weekly bus pass costs approximately £10.
|Bus fare (campus to town return)||£2.50|
|Bus fare weekly pass||£11|
|Cinema ticket||£5.50 - £10.50|
|York Student Cinema||£3|
|Taxi (campus to town)||£7|
|Sport Centre membership||£25|
|Sport club membership||from £10|
|Student society membership||£4|
|Coffee on campus||£2|
|Pint of lager on campus||£2.50|
|Glass of wine on campus||£2.75|
Your food costs will vary significantly depending on your personal choice about where and what you eat.
For some courses, there may be additional costs such as for textbooks, course materials, field trips, etc. These costs cannot reasonably be calculated in advance and change from year to year. For further information we recommend that you check with the relevant academic department.
If you require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK you need to pay for your visa application as well as an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS). The charges vary depending on whether you're applying from inside or outside the UK.
International student calculator
To help you work out how to manage your money and build a budget for living and studying in the UK you can use the international student calculator.
Students with children
We have properties on and off campus to house families and we work with the York Housing Association (YHA) to provide even more family accommodation.
Expect to pay around £145 to £180 per week (including utility bills) for University-owned family accommodation, or £600 to £950 per month (excluding utility bills) for a private rented property.
We also have a small campus nursery which costs £37 per child for a full day. If you decide to hire a childminder they usually charge around £3.80 per child per hour.
Work while you study
You may wish to find a part-time job to help fund your studies and/or gain extra skills and experience.
Our Careers team offer lots of information to help you find a part-time or temporary job.
- Work while you study
- Search for a job (Careers Gateway)
- Working during your studies: information for international students
Living costs for future years
When planning your finances for any future years of study in York, you should allow for an estimated increase in living expenses of 2% each year.