Studying outside the UK
You need to contact Student Financial Support before planning any study‐related travel outside the UK.
You must undertake all academic activity in relation to your studies in the UK. If you do not do so, you may lose eligibility for Direct Loans for your studies. There are some small exemptions to this as set out below.
Coronavirus (Covid-19) update
There is a limited exemption under the CARES Act to the rules surrounding study or placement abroad, which allows students to study abroad or online during the Covid-19 pandemic emergency without losing eligibility for US Direct Loans. This only covers the period of emergency as declared by the UK government.
Study abroad outside of the USA
If your course includes a period of study at an academic institution outside the UK, you may still be eligible for federal loans. Your time abroad must:
- not be more than 25 per cent of the total length of your course
- be at an academic institution that has a written arrangement in place with the University of York. The institution does not have to be approved to participate in the Federal Aid (Title IV) Programme.
If your study abroad does not fulfil the above criteria you cannot receive loans for your time away
Study abroad within the USA
If your course includes study at an academic institution in the United States of America, your time abroad must:
- be no more than 25 per cent of the total length of your course
- be at an approved academic institution participating in the Federal Aid (Title IV) Programme. See a list of approved institutions.
- be at an institution that has a written arrangement in place with the University of York. You must ensure this is in place.
If your study in the USA does not fulfil the above criteria you will lose eligibility for Federal Aid for the time whole of your course.
Internships and placements
Internships and placements that are part of your course (ie one you are required to or have the option to participate in) and are provided by an organisation other than the University of York must:
- have a written arrangement in place with the University of York
- be monitored by an accrediting or government agency or its supervision is transferred to York and monitored by qualified University of York personnel.
You cannot receive loans for non-academic placements outside the UK, even if you have academic approval to spend time abroad.