Be Exceptional scholarships
We award many international scholarships per year, recognising achievement by applying a tuition fee discount.
Be Exceptional Scholarships
Our Be Exceptional scholarships are awarded to international students to support them to achieve their goals at the University of York. We have a number of awards ranging from a £2,500 to £7,500 tuition fee discount. If you are successful, this discount will be applied in your first year only.
There will be two opportunities in which you can apply for this scholarship. You can submit an application in either round one or round two (see details under how to apply).
By applying to the Be Exceptional scholarships, you will also automatically be considered for the prestigious Vice-Chancellor's scholarships.
Open to International (including EU) students only.
To be eligible for a Be Exceptional scholarship, you must:
- have a conditional or unconditional offer to study at the University of York by 22 March 2021 (round one) or Monday 21 June 2021 (round two) (you don't need to have accepted the offer)
- be paying fees at the overseas fee rate (any fee assessments must be completed by 22 March 2021 [round one] or Monday 21 June 2021 [round two])
- intend to study a full-time undergraduate or a postgraduate taught masters course.
You will not be eligible if:
- you hold a 100 per cent tuition fee scholarship or are fully sponsored
- you are an undergraduate student and have made us your insurance choice before 22 March 2021 (round one) or Monday 21 June 2021 (round two).
Students on the following pathways are not eligible for these scholarships:
- Hull York Medical School
- International Pathway College
- Distance and online learning courses
- Part-time courses
- Kaplan International College London
- GEMMA and Mundus MAPP
Application deadline: Monday 21 June 2021, 11.59pm BST
You must apply online. You only need to make one application: you will be considered for both the Be Exceptional and the Vice-Chancellor's awards.
- Applications open Monday 11 January 2021, 00.01am (GMT)
- Applications close Monday 22 March 2021, 11.59pm (GMT)
- Applications open Monday 12 April 2021, 00.01am (BST)
- Applications close Monday 21 June 2021, 11.59pm (BST)
A panel of senior staff from the University will select the successful scholarship awardees, along with the value of the scholarship (£2,500, £5,000 or £7,500).
We aim to inform you of the outcome of your scholarship application by 7 April 2021 (round one) or 7 July (round two).
Once offered a scholarship you must:
- Accept the offer formally, following the link within your offer email
- Make York your firm choice
These actions must be completed by the deadline provided in your offer email. Otherwise, you will lose your scholarship and it will be offered to a reserve candidate.
You cannot apply to this scholarship if you are currently a student at the University of York.
If you defer your place at the University of York you cannot keep your scholarship, but you can reapply the following year.
Be Exceptional scholarships can not be combined with a Vice-Chancellor's scholarship. If you are successful, you will be awarded with one or the other.
Be Exceptional or Vice-Chancellor's scholarships may be combined with University of York departmental scholarships.
Be Exceptional or Vice-Chancellor’s scholarships may be combined with external funding as long as this does not exceed 100 per cent of your tuition fees.
If you are unsuccessful in your application to the scholarship in round one, you will not be accepted for round two.