Be Exceptional scholarships
We award many international scholarships per year, recognising achievement by applying a tuition fee discount.
Be Exceptional Scholarships
Our Be Exceptional scholarships are awarded to international students to support them to achieve their goals at the University of York. We have a number of awards ranging from a £2,500 to £7,500 tuition fee discount. If you are successful, this discount will be applied in your first year only.
There will be two opportunities in which you can apply for this scholarship. You can submit an application in either round one or round two (see details under how to apply).
By applying to the Be Exceptional scholarships, you will also automatically be considered for the prestigious Vice-Chancellor's scholarships.
Open to International (including EU) students only.
To be eligible for a Be Exceptional scholarship, you must:
- have a conditional or unconditional offer to study at the University of York by 21 March 2022 (round one) or 20 June 2022 (round two) (you don't need to have accepted the offer)
- be paying fees at the overseas fee rate (any fee assessments must be completed by 21 March 2022 [round one] or 20 June 2022 [round two])
- intend to study a full-time undergraduate or a postgraduate taught masters course.
You will not be eligible if:
- you hold a 100 per cent tuition fee scholarship or are fully sponsored
- you are an undergraduate student and have made us your insurance choice before 21 March 2022 (round one) or 20 June 2022 (round two).
Students on the following pathways are not eligible for these scholarships:
- Hull York Medical School
- MSc Nursing (Mental Health) and MSc Nursing (Adult)
- MA in Public Policy: Governance and Development
- MSc Sustainable Business: Leadership, Innovation and Management
- International Pathway College
- Distance and online learning courses
- Part-time courses
- Kaplan International College London
- GEMMA and Mundus MAPP
Application deadline: Monday 21 March 2022, 11.59pm GMT
You must apply online. You only need to make one application: you will be considered for both the Be Exceptional and the Vice-Chancellor's awards.
- Applications open Monday 10 January 2022, 00.01am (GMT)
- Applications close Monday 21 March 2022, 11.59pm (GMT)
- Applications open Monday 18 April 2022, 00.01am (BST)
- Applications close Monday 20 June 2022, 11.59pm (BST)
Please be aware that the deadline to accept your offer of undergraduate study on UCAS is during round two of scholarship applications. If you apply during round two, you will be required to select your firm and insurance choice before receiving the outcome of your scholarship application.
A panel of senior staff from the University will select the successful scholarship awardees, along with the value of the scholarship (£2,500, £5,000 or £7,500).
We aim to inform you of the outcome of your scholarship application by 8 April 2022 (round one) or 8 July (round two).
Once offered a scholarship, you must:
- Accept the offer formally, following the link within your offer email
- Make York your firm choice
These actions must be completed by the deadline provided in your offer email. Otherwise, you will lose your scholarship, and it will be offered to a reserve candidate.
You cannot apply for this scholarship if you are currently a student at the University of York.
If you defer your place at the University of York, you cannot keep your scholarship, but you can reapply the following year.
Be Exceptional scholarships can not be combined with a Vice-Chancellor's scholarship. If you are successful, you will be awarded with one or the other.
Be Exceptional or Vice-Chancellor's scholarships may be combined with University of York departmental scholarships.
Be Exceptional or Vice-Chancellor’s scholarships may be combined with external funding as long as this does not exceed 100 per cent of your tuition fees.
If you are unsuccessful in your application to the scholarship in round one, you will not be accepted for round two.