There are different fee levels for UK/EU and international students.
Your fee status determines the level of fee you will be asked to pay, as well as what access you'll have to bursaries and some other forms of support.
What determines fee status?
Your fee status is decided according to:
- your nationality or immigration status
- your ordinary residence.
Guidelines for fee status are established by the governments of the four countries of the UK. The regulations are detailed and there are some exceptions for refugees and frontier workers.
Each university and authority you deal with makes its own decision about your fee status.
Are you eligible for home fee status?
In order to be classified as a Home/EU student for fee purposes, you would normally need to have UK/EU nationality and to have been ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area for the past three years.
Time spent in the UK/EU for educational purposes is not counted as ordinary residence and some sorts of time spent abroad can be disregarded.
Students living in the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey are charged the same fee as UK/EU students.
- Fee status conditions for Higher Education (ukcisa.org.uk)
Not sure what your fee status is?
If you're unsure what your fee status is, in the first instance you should consult UKCISA (ukcisa.org.uk). If you're still not sure, you can complete our fee status form:
Our Admission Policy states: "By accepting our offer of admission, applicants are accepting the University’s decision in relation to their fee status. This decision is made on the basis of the available evidence at the time. Once candidates have enrolled with the University, decisions will normally only be changed where it can be shown that the University’s initial fee assessment (based on the available evidence) was incorrect or in certain cases where a student’s circumstances have changed. A change in fee status post enrolment is not guaranteed. Where applicants consider that our decision is incorrect, they should make every effort to query this prior to enrolment."
For this reason, you're advised to complete the fee status form as soon as possible if you feel that your fee status may be incorrect.
Returning your fee status form
Please return the completed form by post or email:
- Post: Postgraduate Admissions, Student Recruitment & Admissions, University of York, York, YO10 5DD
- Email: email@example.com (subject: Fee status assessment)
Please complete the form above and return by post or email:
- Post: Student Records and Visa Compliance, Student Services, University of York, York, YO10 5DD
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person: Student Hub, Market Square (Office Hours: Term time: 9am - 5pm, Monday to Thursday, 10am - 5pm Friday. Office hours: Vacation: 10am - 4pm, Monday to Friday)