Remember to check your University email and calendar regularly
Posted on 8 November 2020
You need to make sure you check your University email account and calendar regularly so that you don’t miss out on important information. This is where messages and meeting invitations will be sent.
Any correspondence from the University will be sent to your University email account, so you need to make sure you check it regularly.
- Your email address is your University username followed by @york.ac.uk (eg firstname.lastname@example.org). You can sign in to your email account using this email address and your University password.
- As the University’s email system is provided by Google you can sign in at mail.google.com or using the Gmail app on a smartphone or tablet.
- If you also have a personal @gmail.com account, learn about switching between multiple Gmail accounts. This will make it easier for you to toggle between your University and personal email.
- If you're a student in a country where you are unable to access Gmail, you can set up email forwarding.
When someone at the University invites you to a meeting, this will appear in your Google Calendar.
- Don't forget to respond to an invitation (Yes, No or Maybe) so that other people know if you'll be able to attend.
- Make sure that you check your calendar regularly - sometimes meeting times and locations can change.
- You can connect your University timetable to your Google Calendar so that you can see everything in one place.
- If you’ve been invited to an online meeting, there will be a link to Zoom or Google Meet included in the calendar event. You will need to follow this link to join the meeting.
You can find more information and tips on using your University email and calendar on the IT Services website: