Accessibility statement

Living off campus? Apply for Council Tax Student Discount

Posted on 9 October 2019

It's important to apply as soon as possible.

If you're living off campus and you and your housemates are studying full time then you can apply for the Council Tax Student Discount. This means that you won't have to pay council tax.

If you have a joint tenancy, it is important that you register as a group rather than individually. If all occupants at an address are full-time students, and all have applied for exemption, then you do not need to make payments against any initial bills issued.

Do I need to pay council tax?

If you're not sure if you qualify for exemption, see our advice about council tax.

Properties where students and non-students live together are not entitled to an exemption. However, you may be entitled to a discount. See City of York Council information about the student council tax discount and exemption process.

See also City of York Council's Council Tax Student Discount FAQs (PDF , 253kb)

If you live in University accommodation then you do not have to pay council tax.

Apply for a student council tax discount or exemption