Posted on 23 September 2017
Freshers' Week is a great opportunity to enjoy York's nightlife. Here's our top tips to ensure you have a fun - but safe - night out:
Before you go
- Make sure you’ve got your mobile phone charged.
- Keep your bus or taxi money separate so you don't spend it before you need it.
- Eat before you drink - a full stomach slows the absorption of alcohol.
- Save friends' numbers in your phone in case you get separated.
- Save taxi numbers in your phone or find out where taxi ranks are - see the City of York taxi rank directory.
- Check last bus times if you're coming home by public transport - see our information on using public transport in York, including details of the Clubbers' Bus.
Whilst you're out
- Pace yourself - consider alternating between alcoholic and soft drinks.
- Never leave your drink unattended.
- Use a licensed taxi. Streamline is the University’s preferred service. They offer a 10% student discount and will bring you home, even if you're without cash. Simply show your student Unicard and you can pay at their office the following day. Just call +44 (0)1904 656565.
- Don't drink and drive.
- Don't walk home alone.
- Don't leave anyone behind. If someone disappears, don't assume they've gone home - find out where they are.