Accessibility statement

Buying for a department

Get a staff laptop

Staff can request a standard laptop and peripherals for work use. Equipment is distributed and managed by IT Services via the End-to-End service. Check if you're eligible to make a request and what's covered.

Request a staff laptop

What do you need?

Laptops, PCs and peripherals

Stone is the University's supplier of laptops, PCs and peripherals.

Staff are eligible to request a primary device and peripherals via IT Services. For other purposes, please order through York e-Purchase.

Apple Macs and iPads

Academia is the University's supplier for Apple products.

Staff are eligible to request a primary device and peripherals via IT Services. For other purposes, please order through York e-Purchase

Departmental servers

Please talk to IT Services before buying a server.

Our virtual server hosting might be more appropriate. If hardware is required we will check that it will run a suitable Windows or Linux install, and check that it can be installed in our data centre.

Headsets, webcams and mobiles

Looking for equipment to help you connect with others? You can order telephony equipment, including headsets, webcams and mobiles, through Unified Communications, part of IT Services.


Printer purchase is covered by a preferred suppliers agreement.

If you require a new printer, please contact the IT Support.

York Print Plus offers a convenient, cheap and reliable central service.

Maintenance contracts

IT Services can offer PC maintenance at a lower cost through a Higher Education community arrangement with selected third party hardware maintenance companies.

Advice and support

Managed hardware service

IT Services can advise you on the suitability or appropriateness of the hardware.

Please contact the IT Support if the listed suppliers cannot meet your needs, or you require advice on specifications or the suitability of particular products. We will give you an honest opinion of any product we have experience of.  

Other equipment

Individual PC components and upgrades: available via Stone, contact them directly for quotes. 

PC peripherals: this includes scanners and CD writers. Available via Stone, contact them directly for quotes. 

If a department chooses to purchase equipment from other suppliers, they will need to contact the Procurement Office for advice on the appropriate procedures.

Disposal of old equipment

When purchasing new equipment, you may  need to consider the disposal of the item that it's replacing.

You should talk to your Departmental Computing Officer about arranging for disposal. They will ensure that the correct guidelines are followed, as detailed under: